Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot win8 w/ ubuntu issue

Beans

Dual boot win8 w/ ubuntu issue

Hello,

I recently installed ubuntu on my laptop that came with windows 8. I was unable to access/run the installed ubuntu, because of problems with the windows 8 boot loader, so I booted into ubuntu from a live-usb and ran boot-repair. This boot-repair allowed me to boot into ubuntu using grub, but the other boot options (windows 8 ) had some sort of problem regarding EFI's. I am effectively stuck with my only working boot option being Ubuntu.

I ran boot-repair again to see if any problems would be fixed, but nothing helped. Running boot-repair yields the following information http://paste.ubuntu.com/1409675/ .

I was wondering if you could help me change grub or something to allow me to choose to boot into either windows 8 or ubuntu.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dual boot win8 w/ ubuntu issue

Did you see this?

Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda2/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!
    I do not know if that makes a difference. You also say this:

the other boot options (windows 8 ) had some sort of problem regarding EFI's.
    It would help if you gave us the error messages you get when you select the Windows 8 options from the Grub menu.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Grub2's os-prober does not create correct chain load entries for Windows, it still does BIOS type not efi type. Boot-Repair added a correct entry for standard Widnows.

Should work:
    Windows UEFI loader

Will not work:
    Windows 8 (loader) (on /dev/sda4)

But you have some efi files, that I have not seen that look like you may have encryption? Or is that just for HP's BIOS (UEFI) update?

From UEFI menu you should get several boot options, now including ubuntu, windows and the other HP options. If the standard windows boot works then the chain load entry that Boot-Repair added should work from the ubuntu entry.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Dual boot win8 w/ ubuntu issue

Welcome among us !

Quote Originally Posted by dpar18 View Post
    Running boot-repair yields the following information http://paste.ubuntu.com/1409675/
    I'm sorry there was a bug in the Boot-Repair version you used.
    Please :
    1) wait that all packages have a green check in this page: https://launchpad.net/~yannubuntu/+a...pair/+packages
    2) then update and retry Boot-Repair

Beans

Hello and thank you all for the help so far,

Still encountering the same boot issue.
    I ran apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade, which, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe correctly updated boot-repair.

Running boot-repair once again yields:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1413771/

In response to a previous post, I've recorded the following error messages via pen and paper; at the grub menu, I am given the following windows related options:

Windows UEFI loader
    Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi.bkp
    Windows 8 loader (on /dev/sda4)

When selecting 'Windows UEFI loader' I receive the following messages:
    /EndEntire
    file path:/ACPI(a0641d0,0)/PCI(2,1f)/UnknownMessaging(12)/HD(2,c8800,82000,2b19d1dca1b85548,88,e0)/File(\\Microsoft\Boot)/File(bootmgfw.efi.bkp)/EndEntire
    error: cannot load image.

When selecting 'Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi.bkp' I receive the following:
    /EndEntire
    file path:/ACPI(a0641d0,0)/PCI(2,1f)/UnknownMessaging(12)/HD(2,c8800,82000,2b19d1dca1b85548,88,e0)/File(\\EFI\Boot)/File(bootmgfw.efi.bkp)/EndEntire
    error: cannot load image.

When selecting 'Windows 8 loader (on /dev/sda4):
    error: Secure Boot forbids loading module from (hd0,gpt6)/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/ntfs.mod
    error: failure reading sector 0x0 from 'cd0'.
    error: failure reading sector 0x0 from 'cd0'.
    error: no such device: 02BA4919BA490B1D
    error: can't find command 'drivemap'.
    error: invalid EFI file path

It would seem that running the updated boot-repair was unable to fix the bug, and I also noticed a 'Repair Windows boot files' option, but the selection was grayed-out, and I was unable to select it.

Hope this can help you guys help me, and thanks again for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That the third entry does not work is correct. Grub currently does not create a correct entry. That entry is an old BIOS type entry.

But the other two should.
    But in you Windows partition you show both bootmgr & the BCD. Those normally are there only with BIOS Windows installs. The efi bootmgr is the one used with UEFI install and BCD is not shown but I think it is also in the efi partition.

Was this originally a BIOS Windows install? It does not look like it as you have many efi files and efi files for HP & system diagnostics.

Have you turned off quick boot and secure boot?

HP seems to have the logic reversed.

If you want to launch non–HP-signed EFI applications for development purposes, follow these steps:
    1. Access the Computer Setup utility and select System Configuration.
    2. Select Device Configurations, select UEFI Boot Mode, and then select Enabled.
    Last edited by oldfred; December 6th, 2012 at 06:05 AM.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Dual boot win8 w/ ubuntu issue

Quote Originally Posted by dpar18 View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, I believe correctly updated boot-repair.
    Yes, you correctly updated and used it.

As OldFred said, the "Windows 8 loader (on /dev/sda4)" is not expected to work. But the 2 other entries (created by Boot-Repair) should have worked, i don't know why they don't.

Currently you have SecureBoot enabled.

If i were you, i would do this:
    1) in the firmware (~BIOS), disable "QuickBoot" if you can. Then reboot and check if that helps. If not, do next step:
    2) run Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> untick "Create backup and rename EFI files" --> tick "Restore EFI backups" --> Apply. Tell us the new URL that will appear. Reboot and tell us what you observe.
    If still not good, do next step:
    3) in the firmware (~BIOS), disable "SecureBoot". Then run Boot-Repair --> Recommended Repair. Tell us the new URL that will appear. Reboot and tell us what you observe. If still not good, do next step:
    4) run Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> untick "Create backup and rename EFI files" --> tick "Restore EFI backups" --> Apply. Tell us the new URL that will appear. Reboot and tell us what you observe.

Beans

So to see what happens, I deselected Secure Boot from the advanced options for boot-repair.(http://paste.ubuntu.com/1415390/) Boot-repair then asked me to input a set of commands into the terminal which I believe purged grub or something. After rebooting, the computer first gives me a message:
    Selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press <Enter> to Continue.

After pressing enter, I am given what I believe is the computers built in boot manager. And given the following options:
    OS boot Manager
    Ubuntu (Hitachi HTS547575A9E384)
    Boot From EFI File

The 'OS boot Manager' and 'Ubuntu (Hitachi HTS547575A9E384)' options both give me the same error message as before.
    Selecting 'Boot From EFI File' first displays a message:
    NO VOLUME LABEL, (some long address)

I am then given the ability to navigate my boot files via the "File Explorer", and can navigate to different .efi files in my system, however the only one that works is located at EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.bkp, which boots my system into windows.

So currently, I have a (nasty) way of booting into windows, and no way to boot into ubuntu. However I do have to option of booting from a live-USB and re-running boot-repair, which is how I got where I am in the first place.

Would it be advisable to re-enable Secure Boot? Or is there somewhere I can go from here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Was this originally a BIOS Windows install? It does not look like it as you have many efi files and efi files for HP & system diagnostics.

Have you turned off quick boot and secure boot?
    I bought the computer new with windows 8 installed on it, and installed Ubuntu 12.10 via a live-usb.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This user had HP and two drives that worked.

UEFI dual boot two drives - HP
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072950

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast