Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12.10 new install along Windows 8 fails to boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.10 new install along Windows 8 fails to boot

I do not know what grub-efi does in the background.

With BIOS, when you install grub to an MBR, it also customizes core.img to know which partition to search to find the rest of grub. Core.img is not shown and is just in the sectors right after the MBR. That space does not exist in gpt partitions and with MBR you have to create bios_grub to have a place for core.img.

In your ubuntu efi partition, are there other files? Bootinfo script is only looking for the .efi files. Not sure then if the grub efi file includes the core.img code to know which UUID to search?

You could always backup both efi partition and experiment with just copying the efi/ubuntu folders into your Windows efi. It may be missing key parts like the core.img we have in BIOS or it may just be all you need?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ok folks, wish me luck! I will be using this thread as a starting point:

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9580

to install NeoGrub via EasyBCD.

If i don't come back it's because i destroyed the boot partitions and kicked my laptop in frustration, leaving me with 0 computers hahaha

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I thought EasyBCD did not work with UEFI.

EasyBCD does not work with Windows 8
    http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11135
    Microsoft blocks 3rd party chainloaders from the BCD menu for UEFI machines. We are researching workarounds, none have presented themselves as of yet.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It did not work for me.

D

Beans

Apologies, I moved over to the computer in question and promptly fell asleep on the keyboard haha

However, with some rest, comes some wisdom - @YannBuntu is correct - it IS perfect. (At least for my situation.) I have the ability to boot to either OS via the UEFI menu rather than a separate bootloader, which leaves two clean EFI partitions and no extra hassle for me. I think that was the ideal case.

*That said*, EasyBCD + NeoGrub did IN FACT work for me. As simple as the tutorials claimed it to be, the Windows 8 EFI graphical bootloading screen now shows up and has a NeoGrub option (which, if configured properly, would probably work as it is just a grub script). Therefore, I am forced to theorize that in my case, EasyBCD+NeoGrub would be successful if I were to care to configure NeoGrub's config file.

However, given my small monologue in the first paragraph, I think I will remove the NG entry and stick with UEFI boot menu for now due to its "pureness" haha. If anybody wants me to write up a small tutorial this weekend, I'd gladly do it, but it's pretty simple in the end. I just had to get a lot of help from here to understand the concepts.

Also, there is no data on any of my drives yet, so if anyone wants me to attempt to properly configure the NG boot option, let me know now haha (I don't know any grub commands, but seems easy tho)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123