Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mint 14 Nadia with Gala and Slingshot, and without Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Mint 14 Nadia with Gala and Slingshot, and without Cinnamon

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    gala is a very nice window manager. Nice effects, lightweight, and stable. I recently started using it with xfce myself, works much better than compiz. I'm also using plank, isntalled them both from the elementary daily ppa on xubuntu 12.10, working very well.

here's my current desktop:

Could you explain how you built your session in xfce? Although from I got, it shouldn't really matter if it's xubuntu or ubuntu or even mint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zeusalmighty View Post
    Could you explain how you built your session in xfce? Although from I got, it shouldn't really matter if it's xubuntu or ubuntu or even mint.
    Should work for any xfce distro (except the ppa part only works on *buntu based distros obviously). Didn't have to do any major tweaking to get gala as the window manager for the session. Just:

Add the elementary daily ppa and install gala

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:elementary-os/daily

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gala dconf-tools

Set gala as xfce's default window manager

cp /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

leafpad ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

replace "xfwm4" with "gala"

Put min/max/close buttons on the right and change decoration theme

open dconf-editor:

org > pantheon > desktop > gala > appearance

button-layout: :minimize,maximize,close
    theme: Greybird

Plank I just added as a startup item in the xfce settings.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; December 9th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Should work for any xfce distro (except the ppa part only works on *buntu based distros obviously). Didn't have to do any major tweaking to get gala as the window manager for the session. Just:

Add the elementary daily ppa and install gala

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:elementary-os/daily

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gala dconf-tools

Set gala as xfce's default window manager

cp /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

leafpad ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

replace "xfwm4" with "gala"

Put min/max/close buttons on the right and change decoration theme

open dconf-editor:

org > pantheon > desktop > gala > appearance

button-layout: :minimize,maximize,close
    theme: Greybird

Plank I just added as a startup item in the xfce settings.
    This is all excellent, but could you do me a favour and start a new thread? I like Xfce, but wouldn't contaminate that with Gala or Pantheon, both of which are practically dead areas. That Elementary OS Luna won't come out that quickly and when it does, it'd be full of bugs. Xfce, on the other hand does not have bugs!

The applications of Xfce are excellent and they are very well coordinated with the Xfce environment. Xfce allows the user lot of freedom; you can install any other dock/panel and/or any other WM while you are logged in, for example you can do compiz --replace.

When Istarted this thread, I wanted to show how easy to get the so-called, much coveted Elementary experience, but it boils down to only one application, the Slinghsot launcher, incidentally wasn't done initially for the elementary OS and the original developer was John Doe. The developer of the "new" Slingshot is not with the eOS team.

You don't need Gala and/or Pantheon to use that launcher. And, there is no need to contaminated the excellent Xfce environment with anything from the elementary OS.

Exactly, about what Elementary distro are you talking about? I have seen/noticed a released distro yet. Oh, there is a Beta? A beta release after so much hype is nothing!
    Don't you see it is just advertising, and keeping the hype on?

There is nothing that interesting about Pantheon desktop to contaminate the excellent Xfce environment.

My advice is, if you want this Luna so much, download the unstable distro and use it. And, it'd be always unstable!

Both Cinnamon and Pantheon are memory hogs. Plank is just useless too.

Do me a favour and please start a new thread, if you want to contaminated Xfce, okay pal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    This is all excellent, but could you do me a favour and start a new thread? I like Xfce, but wouldn't contaminate that with Gala or Pantheon, both of which are practically dead areas. That Elementary OS Luna won't come out that quickly and when it does, it'd be full of bugs. Xfce, on the other hand does not have bugs!

The applications of Xfce are excellent and they are very well coordinated with the Xfce environment. Xfce allows the user lot of freedom; you can install any other dock/panel and/or any other WM while you are logged in, for example you can do compiz --replace.

When Istarted this thread, I wanted to show how easy to get the so-called, much coveted Elementary experience, but it boils down to only one application, the Slinghsot launcher, incidentally wasn't done initially for the elementary OS and the original developer was John Doe. The developer of the "new" Slingshot is not with the eOS team.

You don't need Gala and/or Pantheon to use that launcher. And, there is no need to contaminated the excellent Xfce environment with anything from the elementary OS.

Exactly, about what Elementary distro are you talking about? I have seen/noticed a released distro yet. Oh, there is a Beta? A beta release after so much hype is nothing!
    Don't you see it is just advertising, and keeping the hype on?

There is nothing that interesting about Pantheon desktop to contaminate the excellent Xfce environment.

My advice is, if you want this Luna so much, download the unstable distro and use it. And, it'd be always unstable!

Both Cinnamon and Pantheon are memory hogs. Plank is just useless too.

Do me a favour and please start a new thread, if you want to contaminated Xfce, okay pal?
    What the hell are you smoking dude?

1. First of all: I've distro and desktop hopped for many years, all of the desktops have plenty of annoying unfixed bugs, so yes XFCE has bugs too. Off the top of my head:

thunar randomly doesn't show trash and network locations until you log out and log back in.

Trash will sometimes show as empty on the desktop but full in thunar, or vice/versa.

xfce4-power-manager's automatic screen dimming is totally broken at the moment on 64-bit, I had to build a deb package with a patch to fix that. (and xfce's power manager is just buggy in general)

xfce4-appfinder randomly crashes

etc...

2. pantheon isn't even particularly memory intensive, its actually fairly light.

3. All I'm using is gala and plank, that's hardly all of luna. I'm not using wingpanel, slingshot, or any of the elementary apps. Pantheon and gala are actually quite stable at the moment, its the elementary apps that are quite unstable, and its to be expected, they are all written from scratch and its the first beta release.

4. Using gala is hardly "contaminating" anything. You know why I always use something like gala or compiz in xfce? because xfce's compositor is a piece of crap, because its xrender based and therefore causing video tearing, even in fullscreen video. with gala I can get a tear-free xfce desktop. Don't get me wrong, I like xfce, but xfwm leaves a LOT to be desired. I chose gala because its lightweight and fast compared to compiz and works very well for getting some nice opengl compositing in XFCE. I chose plank because I like how simple it is, I only need a simple dock. Plank is lacking features at the moment, but its stable (the only thing that really annoys me about it at the moment is the broken sorting)

5. I don't give a crap about slingshot, I always use kupfer or synapse. slingshot isn't even a very impressive launcher, its probably my least favorite part of pantheon. slingshot is hardly the "core of the elementary experience" or whatever you are blathering on about.

My post was fairly relevant to this topic, I did something sort of similar to what you did here, except in XFCE.

I'm sorry you are so strangely butthurt about luna taking too long to be released, but there's no reason for your obnoxious unprovoked attack at me, good day.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; December 10th, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Eitherway, I ended up installing the pantheon-session, which works just fine and I realized that any errors in display on wingpanel, only occur because of the GTK 3.4 theme you're supposed to use with wingpanel. If you use anything else, the dialogues (and slingshot) look kinda <snip> up.

As the previous poster said, the two things I'm keeping from elementary are Gala and Plank. Wingpanel/Slingshot have a long way to go.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by nothingspecial; December 10th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

gala is a very nice window manager. Nice effects, lightweight, and stable. I recently started using it with xfce myself, works much better than compiz. I'm also using plank, isntalled them both from the elementary daily ppa on xubuntu 12.10, working very well.
    That looks very nice! Interesting mix of DE's too. I'll be trying this out later myself. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    I like Xfce, but wouldn't contaminate that with Gala or Pantheon, both of which are practically dead areas... there is no need to contaminated the excellent Xfce environment with anything from the elementary OS...There is nothing that interesting about Pantheon desktop to contaminate the excellent Xfce environment....Do me a favour and please start a new thread, if you want to contaminated Xfce, okay pal?
    Perhaps you're not a native English speaker, so I would just like to quickly clarify some potentially confusing terminology. The proper term for what the previous poster is sharing with us is "having fun", not "contaminate".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tmleigh View Post
    That looks very nice! Interesting mix of DE's too. I'll be trying this out later myself. Thanks for posting!

Perhaps you're not a native English speaker, so I would just like to quickly clarify some potentially confusing terminology. The proper term for what the previous poster is sharing with us is "having fun", not "contaminate".
    Ha, ha!

I said contaminate, and I meant it.
    I like the way this screaminj3sus jumping the thread, and the way he is copying and pasting! I am talking about Mint, and he is talking about Xfce. Mint doesn't "produce" a Xfce distro, so why should I be interested? He wants a thread, start one on Xfce.

This screaminj3sus had been hopping distros, but I am only dissecting them and making new ones. I am kicking Unity out, Gnome-shell out, Xfce out, Lxde out, and only keeping some parts, mostly a panel to hold the logout/shutoff buttons.

I don't need their panels to, I could do with Awn, Cairo dock or Docky, and the WM could be Compiz, instead of Gnome-wm. Well, I like Openbox, so I might be making a "nimble" distro out of it.

I do hope, this screaminj3sus read the heading--Mint 14 Nadia with....and without Cinnamon. Did I say, Mint 14 without Xfce? I wonder...

Good day, tmleigh!

Beans

Moderator, could you please close this thread? I don't want it hi-jacked!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12