View Poll Results: What do you think of the Shopping Lens - (Amazon)

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should The Shopping Lens be kept an opt-out option

1 5.56%
  • Should The Shopping Lens be made opt-in option

9 50.00%
  • Should The Shopping Lens be abandoned

7 38.89%
  • Have not tried 12.10

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another opinion on the Amazon Shopping Lens for 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Another opinion on the Amazon Shopping Lens for 13.04

Well here is a little more constructive criticism, this time from The Inquirer, generally a pro Ubuntu e-mag.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...opping-trolley

Beans

Re: Another opinion on the Amazon Shopping Lens for 13.04

Not just Amazon:
    "with the online sources querying your personal cloud as well as other free and commercial sources like YouTube, Last.fm, Amazon, etc."
    From: http://blog.canonical.com/2012/12/07...-ubuntu-13-04/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I dislike the way the Amazon lens basically competes with my other online sources, and generally, displaces them in my main dash searches. If it could be restricted to a single lens and not the main search lens, I would have kept it. I'm happy still linking to Amazon through the web app that comes with 12.10, as I like to contribute to Ubuntu, but having it in the main lens is annoying.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions

There has been a lot of discussion about this already and this thread shows there will be more ...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thread moved to Recurring Discussions

There has been a lot of discussion about this already and this thread shows there will be more ...
    I have seen no discussion on shopping lens for 13.04 in these forums, how can 13.04 be a recurring discussion.

Why are the forum staff so embarrassed by this subject, that they need to hide it away in Recurring Discussions and lock threads that discuss it?

Please move this thread back to the Community Cafe, it is a hot, current topic and has never been polled.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; December 11th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'll run it by the other staff and get back to you ...

PS: This thread is neither hidden away or locked. Just moved. Any new posts will bump it to the top of the list, just like any other sub-forum ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 11th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

When logging in the other day I went looking for Recurring Discussions, and it took me an hour to find them.
    They are not a listed topic on the home page.
    Regards

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I don't think it is realistic to expect Canonical to abandon the shopping lenses and I am quite sure that many users would want it. So it would be reasonable to make it instead an opt in feature either during first boot or first use of the dash with a friendly pop up which lays out and explains the privacy policies, and afterwards a way to turn shopping on and off should the user changes his/her mind (this already exists)

Another option would be to make the shopping lenses a stand alone app.

That way I think it would address most criticisms and go a long way to restore good will and technically it is not difficult to do. Regardless of the substance of the criticism (some are valid, some may be overboard) the ongoing doubts alone would be a PR problem, which Canoical would be wise to avoid.

Thanks to C.S.Cameron for continued attempts to raise awareness on the issue.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 11th, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/12/m...MG!+Ubuntu!%29

Last section explains new policy. Caveat 13.04 is still a long way off.

Also see this. http://www.iloveubuntu.net/ubuntu-13...ant-purchasing

If anyone needs to complain please direct it at Canonical.

http://www.canonical.com/about-canon...ct/our-offices

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think this a very important dialogue for the entire community to have and I'm happy to see this thread isn't shut down outright. Canonical's actions pit a system against a user - regardless of whether or not it was announced, well-known, or otherwise brought to the user's attention.

Some have suggested that the previous thread (more directly related to RMS's comments) became too argumentative. As I see it, arguments and debate are part of the process. It enables each participant to bring to the discourse their own feelings and ideas (positive and negative, supportive or not). After all, it's not much of a problem solving activity if everyone is a "yes man". From many a conflict, a brilliant solution has been found.

As for me, here are my thoughts, as blunt as they might be:

The idea of opt-in-by-default is a, pathetic, deceptive industry-wide model for promoting a service that can't stand on its own merit. So in order for it to get used (and in order that the supporters/implementers get paid their pound of flesh), it's turned on by default and the onus (suddenly) is on the user to turn it off, should they so choose not to use it. I've said it before, I'll say it again: A user shouldn't have to opt-out. Period - should they choose to preserve their own right to privacy and control. And that (having the option of turning it off) is all fine and good, but having a feature enabled by default, in principle, is shady at best.

Yes, Canonical does need a means to make money, but at what cost to its supporters and users - the people that made it one of THE most popular GNU/Linux distros ever? ...And therein lies the problem. Canonical isn't in the business of charity (as one put it to me in the other thread - and I acknowledge that truth); however, why would a user OPT to transmit data to Canonical (who is, at least in this case, a third party) when they can simply open a browser and work with Amazon directly?

What does the user get out of this?

One might argue that the reasoning for developing this lens is "convenience". I assert that most users aren't too inconvenienced by clicking one icon versus another. [cough]

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast