Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Which Office Suite do you use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Which Office Suite do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I agree that MS Office is superior in many respects. But I don't need it
    You and I suspect a great many others. The saying that "90% of users don't use or need 90% of the features" seems about right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And it's also true that 10% of the time, everyone needs another 1% of those features that aren't present in Google Docs. And it's a different 1% for everyone. = P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the suggestions,I installed Abiword from the repository and it is working like a charm Also read from the internet and changed the default save format to .doc
    Cominus et eminus

Beans

I use libreoffice when I have to work with someone else's MS office documents, though for reading .doc files sometimes I just use antiword.

For creating documents I mostly use Emacs in conjuction with a markup language like RST or org-mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I try to consciously choose to use LibreOffice whenever I can, but Google Docs is immeasurably more convenient, considering how much easier it is to share a document with a large group of people privately.

I'm also a big fan of the Calligra suite.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

About the integration of default applications (LO, TB, FF), I agree that the links are too tight in Ubuntu IMHO. It's rather difficult to change these defaults.

The most difficult part is to remove the dependencies. For that, you need Synaptic. Once done, using the .debs is very easy, especially with command line (I use it only to install application). The bash history even saves a lot of typing.

For OpenOffice for example, once the LO packages from the Ubuntu default installation have been removed, the installation with dpkg works just fine and you can even install LO in parallel (with dpkg too).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Which Office Suite do you use?

Libre Office for me.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by Sidar89 View Post
    OK.This is something that is very important to me, and I wanted to comment as soon as I saw it. I WANT to use LibreOffice because it's Free and Simple, however, I am facing the same issue as others have stated, which is that documents saved in LibreOffice, be it as .doc or any other format, almost always have compatibility issues or end up having a completely weird format when opened by programs like MS Office.

Unfortunately, most government departments, schools and universities still use (and for some reason Insist on using) MS Office and, as a student, this is a huge disadvantage.

So, I am currently using LibreOffice, despite its issues. I tried Google Drive and liked it because of the easy-access and instant-save but then again that needs much more work before I can feel the 'office suite' feeling I get from LibreOffice.

I am not denying the superiority of MS Office in comparison to LibreOffice, AOO and Google Drive on many aspects. Plus MS Office got me through all of my education until last year.

In the mean time, I'll continue to use and support LibreOffice.
    I haven't found any function where MS Office is clearly superior to Libre Office, only episodes where the same functionality didn't translate across the applications. I haven't found a single template or document format from MS Word, Excel, or Power Point that hasn't opened, displayed, or printed flawlessly in Libre Office. It just breaks going the other direction. I've had cells in Libre Office-saved Excel documents that simply disappeared when moved to Microsoft Excel, images in Impress that were misplaced or had transparency problems when opened in Power Point -- annoying formatting errors like that. Things that are trivially maddening and should be expected to translate seamlessly. I CANNOT believe this is anything but deliberate sabatouge on the part of MS for documents that it detects as coming from Libre Office.

BTW, most of these problems come when saving in the Office 10 xml format, saving them in the old MS 2007 or prior compatibility mode usually crosses the brand barrier with no issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Microsoft Office simply because I always have a lot of trouble with LibreOffice and OpenOffice. I try to use LibreOffice and OpenOffice as much as I possibly can though.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Mostly LibreOffice. Google Docs for notes and tips.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast