Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Beans
    734

    Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    but there is so much overblown talk about how Ubuntu is so much better than windows because of malware and stuff. That being said I think I need to throw this out there. I've never had a virus when I used to use windows. Why is that? I practiced basic common sense. I didn't download stuff from sources that I didn't trust and if I did I scanned it twice with antivirus software just to ease my anxiety a little bit before running it and i didn't go opening emails from people i didn't know or supposedly from friends that obviously weren't from friends. Don't go browsing shady sites and if you do make sure you block scripts on those. For even more protection run your browser sandboxed. Look I know I shouldn't drink whiskey but if i wake up with a hangover it's not the whiskeys fault.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Beans
    39,952
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I didn't download stuff from sources that I didn't trust and if I did I scanned it twice with antivirus software just to ease my anxiety a little bit before running it and i didn't go opening emails from people i didn't know or supposedly from friends that obviously weren't from friends. Don't go browsing shady sites and if you do make sure you block scripts on those. For even more protection run your browser sandboxed.
    Sounds a blast, would almost make you install Windows to get that kind of peace of mind.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Beans
    734

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Sounds a blast, would almost make you install Windows to get that kind of peace of mind.
    just had to rant. been seeing this more and more lately and it's driving me crazy. if someone you didn't know came up to you offering free drugs would you take them? or would you think it's too good to be true? if you go against your instinct and do it anyway and get burned then you have nobody to blame but yourself. people know that smoking is bad for them but they want it so much that they roll the dice. you know in your heart it's a bad idea to torrent porn but guess what you aren't thinking with either your heart or your brain at that point. do you blame the computer or do you blame yourself when you get burned?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,803

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    but there is so much overblown talk about how Ubuntu is so much better than windows because of malware and stuff. That being said I think I need to throw this out there. I've never had a virus when I used to use windows. Why is that? I practiced basic common sense. I didn't download stuff from sources that I didn't trust and if I did I scanned it twice with antivirus software just to ease my anxiety a little bit before running it and i didn't go opening emails from people i didn't know or supposedly from friends that obviously weren't from friends. Don't go browsing shady sites and if you do make sure you block scripts on those. For even more protection run your browser sandboxed. Look I know I shouldn't drink whiskey but if i wake up with a hangover it's not the whiskeys fault.
    how do you know you didnt have a virus or other malware on your machine ?

    How do you know your machine was not compromised at some point ?

    That being said, yes with everything it is good habits, but good habits do not prevent it from happening merely helps protect against it and reducing risks, but if it does happen you wont always know either, not all malware (regardless of the portmanteau) is not always malicious in terms of effect or visible result.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    277

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    Well if we are talking about say Windows 7 then we can agree Windows is not as bad on security as most linux supporters say it is.
    However there is still what happened with XP and some habits that 7 inherited from it.
    One habit I would have really liked to see windows take up is using passwords to install apps but its always wanted people to just click a .exe and not think about what they install.
    And this is still a big issue as some people dont know what good software is.
    And who says safe habits will make anything better?
    The biggest weakness windows has is that everything is tied into the core OS, even when yoiu use something like firefox or opera or chrome it still does not give you a bulletproof vest.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    in sunny & hot UK
    Beans
    214

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    that's true, mate
    the only drawback of using windows machine (as opposed to ubuntu) is the lack of "automatic" updates, i.e. the ability to update *all* applications (including 3rd party, most notably Flash and Java).
    and yes, someone with a bit of common sense and proper computatorial (?) habits won't complain about malware etc on windows

    Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    The biggest weakness windows has is that everything is tied into the core OS, even when yoiu use something like firefox or opera or chrome it still does not give you a bulletproof vest.
    there is no problems with running applicatios in sandboxes, that's dumb easy on windows.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    1,204

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    but there is so much overblown talk about how Ubuntu is so much better than windows because of malware and stuff. That being said I think I need to throw this out there. I've never had a virus when I used to use windows. Why is that? I practiced basic common sense. I didn't download stuff from sources that I didn't trust and if I did I scanned it twice with antivirus software just to ease my anxiety a little bit before running it and i didn't go opening emails from people i didn't know or supposedly from friends that obviously weren't from friends. Don't go browsing shady sites and if you do make sure you block scripts on those. For even more protection run your browser sandboxed. Look I know I shouldn't drink whiskey but if i wake up with a hangover it's not the whiskeys fault.
    shady sites sometimes don't look shady.
    Your computer is safe only if you don't use it.
    I'll take my chances.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WI USA
    Beans
    9,929
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    The person using the keyboard is mostly responsible for what is allowed onto a computer via the internet. It is nice to know that malicious .exes which are numerous won't run on Ubuntu, but I certainly can pass them to a Windows machine.

    Anti virus scans for known viruses which still affect many computers. Many people fall for pop ups like the one at link even though some version of it has been around for many years. http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...rus-rogue.aspx
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    Quote Originally Posted by szymon_g View Post
    the ability to update *all* applications (including 3rd party, most notably Flash and Java).
    Flash and Java both have auto update features. Applications these days also include either an auto updater or an update checker on startup (Winamp for example).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

    Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    Flash and Java both have auto update features. Applications these days also include either an auto updater or an update checker on startup (Winamp for example).
    Agreed, but if I remember correctly, if you let all applications update, or check for updates automatically, you end up with numerous updating utilities starting at boot every time. In my experience (WinXP) that can slow the machine such that it takes several minutes when it starts up to get to a useful desktop.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •