Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

Beans

Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

Hey All,

I've got an ASUS 1015PN that I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 from 11.04. On the latter version, I had three finger tap support for my touchpad, which I'd mapped to a middle mouse click. However, once I upgraded, this capability no longer works.

I've done a fair bit of web (and soul ) searching, all to no avail. Now you might ask yourself why I care so much. Well, until this capability was taken away, I've forgotten how much I use all of the taps for the various mouse clicks.

Finally, fwiw, I've looked in all of the usual suspect places: /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log with everything seeming normal, and running the command synclient, which reports that a tapbutton3 should report a middle mouse click. I've also checked this with utilities like evtest and xev to see that, no matter what I do, I only get 'Button1' X events when I do a three finger tap.

I'm now at my wits end, and I simply cannot believe that I'm the only person worldwide that's experiencing this behavior.

Can anyone out there in Ubuntu-land offer any suggestions?

Many, many thanks in advance,
    john

Beans

Re: Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

I don't have a solution for you, just adding my voice to say I've got this problem too. Hope someone figures out a solution to it soon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, sorry, no solution from me either, but it has happened to me too. I read somewhere there has been some heated debate about this thing, so I hope it's only a bug and no one has taken the functionality away. I use this a lot, and want it back

Beans

Hi. I have laptop asus k50ab and three-finger tap doesn't work for me too. In 11.04 all was OK.

Beans

same here.

visually:
    1-finger tap does what it should
    2-finger tap as well
    3-finger tap does nothing (see also xev below)
    3-finger drag drags the window (though compiz is programmed for <alt>button2)
    4-finger tap gives the 'dash' of Unity.

xev:
    doing 'xev' in a terminal and moving the mouse in the small window that pops up, I see that one-finger works and is recognised and two-finger as well. Three-finger is not recognized (no response what-so-ever).

I also noticed that combining the the 'real button' (beneath the touchpad surface) with two finger tap on the touchpad surface DOES do the paste!!!!
    Very uncomfortable, but at least something.
    Last edited by indium; October 18th, 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Beans

I think, 3 tap unable..

but you can setting your mousepad at system setting..

Beans

not the exact solution, but maybe even better (who needs the right button there anyway ...)

2 finger-tap paste:
    Code:
    sudo synclient TapButton2=2
    Source: http://ubuntu-snippets.blogspot.com/...29731545818024

Beans

I installed 11.10 on my EeePC 1000h today over my existing 10.04 install of quite awhile ago and ran into the same issue. I managed to get it working again by following the instructions on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1615564. Search for "jconti" on the page and start from there, about a third of the way through the page (the paragraph should mention some things about 3-finger tap). I basically followed those directions but had to install fakeroot as well to get them working (sudo apt-get install fakeroot).

The instructions there are for a different computer than mine but the solution seems to be relatively universal. No idea if this will break any future updates (or if future updates will break this), as this is a very unofficial patch from someone in the bug reporting forums, but it does get the tapping to work.

Beans

Here's what I've tried so far to get the functionality in 10.10 back in 11.10:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...fIAiFA&cad=rja

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2011/1...-ubuntu-11-10/

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2011/1...-tap-gestures/

None of this has worked, and beyond those solutions, I put up a question with $50 on it on justanswers.com.

If anyone in the community is able to fix this for everyone on Ubuntu 11.10, I will gladly pay them the same (through paypal.)

I am sick of getting functionality taken away from me with updated of Ubuntu.

...I no longer have a brightness applet, Ok, I can manage.
    ...I don't have a system monitor in the gnome panel, ok, I guess I can deal with that.
    ...I have to use an ugly dock with no customisation, fine.
    ...My entire system is slow, and the OS takes up more system resources than any other version of Linux I know of. That really sucks, but I guess if it works...

...I can't middle click on my laptop touchpad. Not fine in any way. What's next, no right clicking?

It seems like Ubuntu is making sacrifices for the good of the 'touch' experience on tablets that don't exist, and phones that don't run it. I'm sick of it and have been since 11.04. Ironic isn't it? I'm willing to pay to fix something free... maybe I should just look for a paid OS like Windows and start trying to fix that dunghill.

Anyway, I hope we can find the answer soon guys, as I've asked on Ubuntustack, Google+, and Diaspora. Good luck guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Just to add to the (sad) list of stevenwall...

...they have ditched emblems and background in nautilus "because nobody used them" (sigh)

(admittedly, the last one is a gnome decision, no Ubuntu, but still..)
    Have a nice day,
    Romano --- Linux user since 1989: first kernel 0.99pl8, Slackware distro (on 40 floppies! )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast