Thread: Relative performance in general

Beans

Relative performance in general

This is my first intstallation of Ubuntu, and I am not certain what to expect. It seems to me that panels (windows, whatever) load quite slowly, and it seems to appear in three steps on the display. (Using vbox on an Asus laptop.)

Also, the mouse cursor turns on and off (true, it is mostly on), and does not seem to maintain focus. (Sometimes when I want to click in something in a window, I get something on the side-panel (or a balloon from the side-panel) instead of what I want.

I think this may be a timing issue, but sometimes samba is unable to connect to the host and machines connected through it. It is obvious that samba sets up correctly "out of the box", since often I can see the shares I expect.

The next comments should be posted in another thread. But, as an absolute newbie to this, I'm not sure where. When I attempt a "mount -t vboxsf", it tells me it doesn't know the type. Other related threads seem to discuss groups (e.g., vboxsf group), but this seems a bit more basic than that.

Except for performance issues (and my unfamiliarity with Gnome and Unify (or Unity)), Ubunto seems to be an excellent distribution. Previously, I used SuSE, but I can't get samba to work at all in that most recent distribution.

I can use my SuSE installation, since I've got the shared file system mounted (something I can't do in Ubuntu); I prefer the SuSE with respect to user interface and speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Relative performance in general

What version of Ubuntu are you using?
    Cheesemill

Beans

Howdy,

If you want speed, install XFCE or LXDE. The default Unity desktop environment makes any computer slow.

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10. Virtual box 4.2.

I'm not sure of the SuSE designation I'm using, but I'm pretty sure it is based on the same Linux base as Ubuntu.

I've installed Kubuntu on another virtual machine, but haven't done much with it, since the performance issues seem (at first glance) to be the same as Ubuntu.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    If you want speed, install XFCE or LXDE. The default Unity desktop environment makes any computer slow.
    +1; will be faster.

http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

Beans
    Distro

There is a known performance issue running 12.10 in VirtualBox.

http://useranswer.com/answer/why-doe...y-very-slowly/

You can either try the fix outlined in the above link or use Ubuntu 12.04 instead which doesn't have this issue.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    There is a known performance issue running 12.10 in VirtualBox.

http://useranswer.com/answer/why-doe...y-very-slowly/

You can either try the fix outlined in the above link or use Ubuntu 12.04 instead which doesn't have this issue.
    Thanks Cheesemill; was not aware of that.

Beans

Thanks, everyone. I'll look into the VirtualBox vs. 12.10 performance issue. However, I installed lubuntu (using the light desktop manager), and it works very, very satisfactorily.

I was disappointed that samba did not work "out of the box," but, for no particular reason, I installed "smb4k", and samba is now working. (I did glance at what was being installed, and the base samba package did happen.)

On the whole, I am a bit disappointed by software package management, which seems more awkward than the equivalent provided by SuSE. I also haven't really found how and where to do system administration tasks. On the other hand, I do now (thanks to this thread) have a system which works adequately.

Thank you all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro