Thread: Can't open items on the launcher

Beans

Can't open items on the launcher

I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. I installed ubuntu 12.10 on my 8GB USB drive, which I formatted as FAT32, using Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.com, and gave it 4GB of persistence.

I booted it up, experimented with a few things, installed ubuntu restricted extras, and everything seemed to be working fine. But then I tried to open the dvd I had in my dvd-rom drive, and it simply won't open. I click the icon on the launcher and nothing happens. I'm getting the same result when I click on casper-rw, system, and os. I tried ejecting the dvd and reinserting it, and I get the following error:

Unable to mount (dvd name)
    Adding read ACL for uid 999 to `/media/ubuntu' failed: Operation not supported
    What's going on? Thanks in advance for the help.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Can't open items on the launcher

Beans

I have ubuntu-restricted-extras and libdvdcss2 installed, and I'm still having the same problem. I don't know if it's directly DVD related, because I get the same error when trying to open the System, OS, and casper-rw folders.

And thanks
    Last edited by LyTningB0LT; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

Apparently /media/ubuntu did not exist, which was causing my problems. I created it manually and now everything seems fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LyTningB0LT View Post
    Apparently /media/ubuntu did not exist, which was causing my problems. I created it manually and now everything seems fine.
    I'm glad you sorted it out, I ran into the same bug when installing 12.10 on my father's computer. It seems like a rather visible bug, I'm surprised it wasn't picked up earlier, but I can't really complain too much as I didn't help test before release.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.