Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ralink RT5370 USB wi-fi not working

Beans

Ralink RT5370 USB wi-fi not working

New to Linux/Ubuntu.
    * I have just spent 4+ hours trying to get a wi-fi adapter working without success.
    * I was shocked the driver was not "double-click and off-you-go" like Windows.
    * I've have gone from knowing zero to learning the basics fast, but I'm still way out of my element.

The details
    lsusb nearly always doesn't show the attached wi-fi USB. When it did show it (just twice, randomly) it had this info in the ID field:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.

USB ports and wi-fi adapter both worked fine under XP; it's definitely not a hardware problem. So anyway, right now lsusb is not showing any adapter connected (and nearly always doesn't show the adapter connected to USB).

uname -r
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    3.2.0-29-generic-pae
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ralink RT5370 driver has been downloaded
    http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...r=5016&sn=5016
    ...after agreeing to their terms here.

I have extracted it to the desktop and renamed the folder to RT5370. I have gone inside this folder:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Desktop/RT5370/os/linux

I have opened config.mk here and set two lines to y (yes):
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y

If somebody can explain why the user has to do this in 2012, I'd appreciate it. WPA is not built-in or enabled...why? I've also followed some makefile instructions in another thread but I'm in way over my head and there are too many threads from years ago which I'm not sure are still relevant. Regardless, the wi-fi adapter still isn't working.

Please help me get this wireless adapter working.
    I need very basic and deliberate instructions if possible. I'm not afraid to do what I have to do as long as it's explained clearly and/or assumes no prior knowledge.

Thanks so much for any hints.
    Last edited by triugan; December 3rd, 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ralink RT5370 USB wi-fi not working

If somebody can explain why the user has to do this in 2012, I'd appreciate it. WPA is not built-in or enabled...why?
    Not managed by Network Manager, no. Because not every Linux distribution uses or includes NM, Ubuntu Server Edition for example. Not every user wants or needs NM, and especially NM to manage wpa_supplicant, even if it is included; my wife removes it immediately. She's a daredevil.

Any competent driver you download and compile from source is written to try to work with Suse, Mandriva, Ubuntu, LFS, Debian, CentOS, the wacky kids at Gentoo and many more. They do not all work exactly the same. Some customization, known in my part of the country as whittling, is required.

Let's get it installed. First, make sure the prerequisites are installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    Now, let's compile the driver:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/2011_0719_RT3070_RT3370_RT5370_RT5372_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO  <--or wherever you downloaded and extracted the package
    sudo su
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt5370sta
    exit
    Your wireless should be working.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi Chili555
    Thanks for responding.

Re: the first step.

The machine can't be connected to the net unfortunately. All I can do is transfer any important files to the machine manually (via another computer which is connected to the net).

Is there something I should be looking for?

Sidenote
    I just totally re-installed Ubuntu 12.0.4 and what's really bizarre is the adapter is detected during setup and asks if I want to connect to local networks it sees (neighbours) but basically is not working after that initial stage. Truly odd...

Anyway, if I should be looking for some particular files I need, please let me know where I can find them. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

I just totally re-installed Ubuntu 12.0.4 and what's really bizarre is the adapter is detected during setup and asks if I want to connect to local networks it sees (neighbours) but basically is not working after that initial stage. Truly odd...
    Odd, indeed! Can you please run the install CD live; that is, 'Try Ubuntu' and run this terminal command:
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    You will see two listings, one for ethernet and one for wireless. Look under wireless and note the driver. Here is a sample from my computer:
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    <snip> ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=3.5.0-18-generic firmware=15.32.2.9 ip=192.168.1.8 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
    resources: irq:47 memory:edf00000-edf00fff
    We are interested in what driver works live but not installed. We suspect rt2800usb.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

double post
    Last edited by triugan; December 3rd, 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: doubling up

Beans

Chili555,
    I did what you said (run the thing as a LiveCD) and it only seems to detect my onboard (non-wireless) nic (Realtek).

Did that command both with and without sudo preceding it. However, during normal setup it definitely detects the wireless adapter (the only one on this system).

Anyway, the results of the command:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
      *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 1
           bus info: pci@0000:05:01.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 10
           serial: (snipped)
           size: 10Mbit/s
           capacity: 100Mbit/s
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
           resources: irq:21 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:d0000800-d00008ff

Beans
    Distro

On your installed partition, please run:
    Code:
    modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370
    Hopefully, you will see something like this:
    $ modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370
    alias: usb:v148Fp5370d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    If so, that indicates that the already installed driver rt2800usb supports your device.
    ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    If that's the case, let's load it and see what happens:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rt2800usb
    iwconfig
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    Thanks.

Beans

Thanks so much for your help.

Code:
    usb:v148Fp5370d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    Done. This is exactly what I get.

If so, that indicates that the already installed driver rt2800usb supports your device.
    Great.

Code:
    sudo modprobe rt2800usb
    I'm asked to enter my password. I enter it. Then I am returned to the login prompt again, like usual. I assume something has been done in the background.

Code:
    iwconfig
    Here is what I get:
    Code:
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan1     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:on

eth0      no wireless extensions.

rename3   IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:on
    It's Wlan1 instead of wlan0 because I since I last wrote I've been playing with another wi-fi adapter to see if it works. Apparently when it's disconnected it's been renamed to "rename3". I don't know why.

Anyway, I think those results show that the adapter is working judging form the tx-power. If that's the case, I found no easy way to scan for networks.

Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    Interface doesn't support scanning.

Fair enough. I tried this instead:
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan1 scan
    No scan results.

If I do:
    Code:
    sudo iwlist rename3 scan
    I get:
    Code:
    Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
    I assume that's because the other adapter has been unplugged with only the Ralink one connected to USB again.

At this point, if I go into Settings and then Network I see two Wireless instances in the white box on the left. If I click on one it says Disconnected. If I click on the other it says Unavailable.

Both are marked ON with the orange-background ON switch. Airplane mode is marked as OFF with the grey background.

There appears to be no easy way (or obvious way) to scan for networks in a GUI-type thing, too.

Thanks again for your help. I hope I can get this going.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, my!! This is my most interesting thread so far this month. Fascinating.

It is clear to see that there are some conflicts going on here. Please decide which wireless device you want to try to coax to life and put the other in the drawer in the garage because we are going to try to restore sanity and order to your setup by deleting a number of settings. When you have decided and placed the non-starter far away, please insert your favorite and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    dmesg | grep -e wlan -e rename -e rt2
    cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    Whew!

Beans

When you have decided and placed the non-starter far away, please insert your favorite and post:
    Ralink 5370 nightmare is ready and waiting

Restarted computer since then. No wireless devices showing up under Settings > Network despite Ralink being plugged in.

lsusb
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

dmesg | grep -e wlan -e rename -e rt2
    When inputtting this I get returned to the prompt. I assume something is done in the background.

cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    Code:
    [main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
    dns=dnsmasq

no-auto-default=00:00:00:00:00:00,

[ifupdown]
    managed=false
    Mac ID listed normally but blanked with zeroes here.
    Thanks again for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast