Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Recovering from a grub rescue crash query

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Recovering from a grub rescue crash query

    It found a standard boot loader in sda1. Not sure why the one in sda2 says recovery, but I expect it to also boot your install in sda2, unless BCD is not set for correct partition. We cannot see BCD from Linux for boot details.

    Photoshop uses flexnet.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    238
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Recovering from a grub rescue crash query

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It found a standard boot loader in sda1. Not sure why the one in sda2 says recovery, but I expect it to also boot your install in sda2, unless BCD is not set for correct partition. We cannot see BCD from Linux for boot details.
    Hmm, well if I recall the laptop used up all partitions for Windows, but I deleted the HP Tools partition and put Ubuntu there, so Recovery likely was 2 originally.

    Photoshop uses flexnet.
    Damn. So that is the cause?
    I need PhotoShop, I claim to be a digital artist.


    EDIT:
    Ugh, I hate it when it goes to the second page, made me miss your response SEVEN hours ago?!
    Last edited by felinoel; December 7th, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Recovering from a grub rescue crash query

    I cheat and use Autopager in Firefox. That gives me full scrolling of all the posts. But when lots of pages I still have to jump to end or else scroll takes forever.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    238
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Recovering from a grub rescue crash query

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I cheat and use Autopager in Firefox. That gives me full scrolling of all the posts. But when lots of pages I still have to jump to end or else scroll takes forever.
    Huzzah! Am on Windows again, now to finish a web site.

    So Adobe Creative Suites is capable of breaking my computer... is there a way to prevent it from happening again or should I just keep that boot repair disc in my cd drive for future occurrences?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Recovering from a grub rescue crash query

    Grub2 has the work around for flexnet so it should be ok. It may be other Windows tools. Some virus software sees grub as a boot virus and restores Windows, some HP or Dell tools do something like flexnet in writing into the sectors after the MBR where grub has its core.img. Most turn those off if a continuing issue.
    I do not normally suggest neosmart's EasyBCD but a few do use it that are primarily Windows users. I prefer grub.
    You also can have grub directly installed to a flash drive and manually add a boot stanza to boot Ubuntu as another way to boot. Then from inside Ubuntu it is easy to reinstall grub to the MBR.

    Install grub2 to USB -general info
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/....html#GRUB_USB

    How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.- Cavsfan
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...tomGrub2Screen
    I use this type of boot stanza to boot from my USB to my installs as a backup way to boot.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    238
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Recovering from a grub rescue crash query

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Grub2 has the work around for flexnet so it should be ok. It may be other Windows tools. Some virus software sees grub as a boot virus and restores Windows, some HP or Dell tools do something like flexnet in writing into the sectors after the MBR where grub has its core.img. Most turn those off if a continuing issue.
    I do not normally suggest neosmart's EasyBCD but a few do use it that are primarily Windows users. I prefer grub.
    You also can have grub directly installed to a flash drive and manually add a boot stanza to boot Ubuntu as another way to boot. Then from inside Ubuntu it is easy to reinstall grub to the MBR.

    Install grub2 to USB -general info
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/....html#GRUB_USB

    How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.- Cavsfan
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...tomGrub2Screen
    I use this type of boot stanza to boot from my USB to my installs as a backup way to boot.
    Ugh it is probably that super annoying HP Tools, I've been meaning to turn that off...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •