Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Haiku OS: What's the big deal anyway?

Beans

Haiku OS: What's the big deal anyway?

I'll will admit that I don't closely follow Haiku's development. But from reading comments about it over at the osnews.com, it seems such a big deal to a lot of people. I tried to find out more about Haiku, which took 8 years just to reached apha 1, but simplt don't find anything special about it. Maybe I'm missing something. Does it bring anything new to the table that Windows, OSX, and Linux didn't already have? Anybody knows?

Beans

Re: Haiku OS: What's the big deal anyway?

I've suggested that this thread should be combined with the other Haiku thread.

In answer to your question, have a look at this old Haiku video?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1448076587879#

You may appreciate some of the wonders of Haiku that so many of us are waiting to develop into common usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is pretty clear you never spend time on BeOS. It is still one of the most amazing OSes ever built. It was extremely advanced for it's time, it was smooth in use (e.g. you could easily play several videos at once on the BeBox which was a lowly dual core 66MHz or there abouts machine).

BeOS is a big deal and Haiku is the natural reimplementation of this fantastic OS.

However the use of extensive threading also made it hard to program correctly, today more modern and less drastic (and less efficient) approaches to using multiple cores have arisen such as Apples Grand Central Dispatch.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    It is pretty clear you never spend time on BeOS. It is still one of the most amazing OSes ever built. It was extremely advanced for it's time, it was smooth in use (e.g. you could easily play several videos at once on the BeBox which was a lowly dual core 66MHz or there abouts machine).

BeOS is a big deal and Haiku is the natural reimplementation of this fantastic OS.

However the use of extensive threading also made it hard to program correctly, today more modern and less drastic (and less efficient) approaches to using multiple cores have arisen such as Apples Grand Central Dispatch.
    You're right, I've never used BeOS or Haiku. That is why I asked. I don't want to jump in and invest time in testing/using an OS that I don't know where it's heading. Given the fact that it took so long to get to apha 1 and so many basic features haven't yet been implemented, according to this wiki ( http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaikuFeatures ), I just don't know if I will still be alive when it reaches final release.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oobuntoo View Post
    You're right, I've never used BeOS or Haiku. That is why I asked. I don't want to jump in and invest time in testing/using an OS that I don't know where it's heading. Given the fact that it took so long to get to apha 1 and so many basic features haven't yet been implemented, according to this wiki ( http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaikuFeatures ), I just don't know if I will still be alive when it reaches final release.
    So why don't you turn your logic around & evaluate the question this way?

To start with, if it reaches final release, it has to still be alive?

Haiku has been in sustained development long enough to reach Alpha_1. This says something in itself when it is considered that it is not just another relatively easy Linux distro; it is a rewritten BEOS compatible system with an entirely new & highly advanced file system.

After the current Alpha_1 release, there will be a great deal more feedback due to the sudden increase of users. There will also be an increase in the amount of coding help, due to the expanded awareness or the existence of Haiku & also due to the enthusiasm that this growing awareness will generate for Haiku.

If you actually looked at the video I linked to, apart from anything else, you may have noticed the amazing abilities of the BE file system.

There is a great deal more; though if you are truly interested, you will do a tiny bit of research, (instead of asking to be spoon fed) as there is a great deal of information regarding Haiku available.

I gave you the movie link because you gave me the impression that you weren't really into doing the reading/research, as you find it takes too long to find anything out.

If you find patience? Go & do some reading on the Haiku website? From such an endeavor you will learn what the current goals are & just where the dev' team is up to in this regard on the various fronts.

Another thing that maybe worth mentioning, is that if you can afford the download of the Haiku.iso, it is a LiveCD, so you don't have to install it on your machine, (though it will function VERY much quicker if you do put it on a HDD) to be able to look at it & test it against your hardware. After which, if you see that your hardware is supported then you can if you choose, install it to a partition one way or another.

So long of course that you don't think that all of that is a waste of your time, with regard to testing an unknown. For some reason (demonstrated in you post) I think you will very likely find that Haiku Alpha_1 is a waste of your time, so you should probably just move onto something else.

Though, I could be wrong, I certainly have been many times before...
    Last edited by handy; September 15th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I've suggested that this thread should be combined with the other Haiku thread.

In answer to your question, have a look at this old Haiku video?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1448076587879#

You may appreciate some of the wonders of Haiku that so many of us are waiting to develop into common usage.
    I reckon that the old classic "Playing six videos on the faces of a rotating cube" was a pre-rendered object

I might take a look at the video though, and I'll be putting Haiku into a virtual machine later on.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I reckon that the old classic "Playing six videos on the faces of a rotating cube" was a pre-rendered object

I might take a look at the video though, and I'll be putting Haiku into a virtual machine later on.

Actually it is a Google Tech Talk from the people behind Haiku (interestingly in attendance is a lot of former Be employees who are now with Google). It's well worth the hour of your life it takes to watch it.

but yes, BeOS playing multiple videos at once without skipping a frame is pretty damn impressive given the hardware.. my Core 2 Duo can't even do that today on Linux with one video.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Really truly!

Why wouldn't any old IT dude be at least appreciative & grateful that at last Haiku is now alpha_1 & available in a variety of installable formats?

This release will bring in an increased number of bug reports & I expect an increase in coders.

It has mouse bugs on my hardware.

These will probably be the first to be sorted for the next release.

In Haiku, I could surf the web in Firefox 2.2, without any configuration on my behalf at all, it just worked!

This is critical as far as I can see. If people can access the web via Haiku, then they are going to use it one way or another.

I'm stoked, I only need the mouse bugs I experience fixed & I'll be running Haiku consistently as my 2nd system.

Wow!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oobuntoo View Post
    I'll will admit that I don't closely follow Haiku's development. But from reading comments about it over at the osnews.com, it seems such a big deal to a lot of people. I tried to find out more about Haiku, which took 8 years just to reached apha 1, but simplt don't find anything special about it. Maybe I'm missing something. Does it bring anything new to the table that Windows, OSX, and Linux didn't already have? Anybody knows?
    From the FAQ:

Why not Linux?

Linux-based distributions stack up software -- the Linux kernel, the X Window System, and various DEs with disparate toolkits such as GTK+ and Qt -- that do not necessarily share the same guidelines and/or goals. This lack of consistency and overall vision manifests itself in increased complexity, insufficient integration, and inefficient solutions, making the use of your computer more complicated than it should actually be. [top]

Instead, Haiku has a single focus on personal computing and is driven by a unified vision for the whole OS. That, we believe, enables Haiku to provide a leaner, cleaner and more efficient system capable of providing a better user experience that is simple and uniform throughout. [top]
    Looks interesting.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    From the FAQ:

Looks interesting.
    with that snippet, it does look interesting.

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast