Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exclude SSH from a VPN set as default interface

Beans

Exclude SSH from a VPN set as default interface

So I joined up with a VPN service for privacy and freedom's sake and I set it up using OpenVPN and network manager. I found, to my delight, that all traffic goes through the OpenVPN connection by default when it's turned on. COOL!

PROBLEM: I can no longer SSH into my computer. I normally SSH into my box by way of my regular net connection, since my dynamic DNS client runs on my router.

I have port forwarding set up on my router to send SSH traffic (on standard port 22) to my computer's static LAN IP. This used to work before I had OpenVPN turned on, now it doesn't.

I guess the problem is that the SSH traffic is being forwarded to my computer from my gateway, then trying to go from my computer to its Internet destination by way of tun0 (the OpenVPN device) since it's the default.

I've been puzzling with iptables and SNAT POSTROUTING rules but I can't figure it out. Last thing I tried was this:

Code:
    root@host# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j SNAT -p tcp --dport 22 --to 192.168.5.1
    I was attempting to just send any traffic on port 22 back to the gateway at 192.168.5.1, since LAN traffic seems to be excluded by default from the VPN connection. It didn't work.

So, I'm stumped. Anyone out there have any ideas as to how to solve this problem?

Beans

Re: Exclude SSH from a VPN set as default interface

It's not clear exactly what you are trying to do.

Are you connecting to the VPN from INSIDE your home network (where the ssh server also lives)? In that case, port forwarding isn't relevant and neither is a dynamic DNS, since you are trying to get to your local server without even going through the gateway.

Or are you trying to connect to your ssh machine remotely from the internet, where Dynamic DNS + port forwarding would apply? Then the local iptables stuff is not relevant, but perhaps your VPN provider is then blocking port 22?

Beans

The latter. I am trying to connect to my home computer via SSH from the Internet.

The VPN service I use, (BTGuard), gives me a 10.x.x.x address, so it turns out I'm on their private subnet. This is why I feel like it's a NATing problem, not a blocked port, but I could be wrong. I had tried setting up ddclient on my computer itself but the IP address DynDNS got for my computer was one of BTGuard's gateways. I tried connecting via SSH and got a host that was definitely not mine.

Since my VPN service doesn't give me a public IP, I want to SSH directly from the Internet to my home computer through my regular ISP connection, but let all other traffic use the VPN. Would it be possible to do that?

Beans

If your Dyanmic DNS host isn't resolving to the correct IP when you are on the VPN, then it sounds like a DNS caching issue at the VPN provider. Let's assume your ISP doesn't change your IP very often - twice a day at most? Then you should be able to look up your DNS name without the VPN, then with the VPN, then (disconnect from VPN) without again. Try "nslookup" .

Further, you can try the ssh just using your Dynamic IP, right? I know it will change but again, probably not that often right? By luck you should be able to ssh to it by IP before it changes again. Can you do that when connected to their VPN?

I guess you could try using your own DNS (or say Google's) instead of the VPN provider's, when connected, if it turns out to be a DNS caching issue.

Beans

Oh, and I assume the reason you're not running your own OpenVPN server at home (in your router?) is because you want to block your IP? That's the "privacy" you are concerned about?

Beans

Not specifically, but any improvement to privacy is welcome in an age of digital surveillance.

I believe the fact that the VPN service gives me an IP on 10.0.0.0/24 means that I would have to ask them to forward me a port for SSH, which I doubt is a favour they would do for one customer of many - at least not without paying a premium.

My goal is to be able to SSH tunnel from the Internet into my otherwise VPNed box. I feel like a technician who is better versed than I in networking, specifically with IPtables, would be able to do that, but the solution is out of my grasp at the moment. That's why I came to the Ubuntu community seeking help.

Does it feel like an achievable goal to you, ahallubuntu? Do you have any clues as to how to solve this puzzle?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    If your Dyanmic DNS host isn't resolving to the correct IP when you are on the VPN, then it sounds like a DNS caching issue at the VPN provider. Let's assume your ISP doesn't change your IP very often - twice a day at most? Then you should be able to look up your DNS name without the VPN, then with the VPN, then (disconnect from VPN) without again. Try "nslookup" .

Further, you can try the ssh just using your Dynamic IP, right? I know it will change but again, probably not that often right? By luck you should be able to ssh to it by IP before it changes again. Can you do that when connected to their VPN?

I guess you could try using your own DNS (or say Google's) instead of the VPN provider's, when connected, if it turns out to be a DNS caching issue.
    Sorry, missed this previous one. Yes, I'm subscribed to a VPN service. I'm trying to VPN from my home computer to their gateway, and they don't seem to give me my own public IPV4 address (understandable these days). My public IP shows up as one of their few end points (see: https://btguard.com/support_vpn#question1).

I'm trying to set it up so I can switch on the VPN connection on my home computer when I want privacy, but leave it on and still get to it by SSH. I figure the best way to do that is to SSH through my home router instead of trying to in through BTGuard's end point. I know there are workarounds (e.g., set up an aliased IP and block all but port 22 on that, then set up routing rules and forwarding for that IP instead, set up a little VM for SSH, etc.) but they all seem like hacky ways to achieve something I'm pretty sure can be achieved directly. There's just something I'm missing here, and I thought it might be that the IPTables rule was wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have this EXACT same problem... I've been trying to find a solution for weeks and have been on Freenode's #openvpn trying to get suggestions. Nothing has worked so far though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

So I'm doing the same thing... trying to get to ssh into a machine on my network running OpenVPN client to a vpn service. I found all the same problems you did... Activating the client cuts all my ssh connections from outside the network. I did manage to get any machine on the LAN to be able to SSH into the machine, but not from outside. While talking to folks on IRC in #openvpn on freenode I got a few different suggestions. One was to source nat the traffic from the router so it all looked like it came from the router (on the same LAN). I didn't like that solution and never really got that far with it. The other was using -j MARK to mark certain packets in -t nat PREROUTING or mangle... That's where I am stuck though... I also thought about just opening up an ssh port in a VM as well or even on the router, but like you I think there has to be a better way to make this work.

Beans

Aha! Thanks, aeg1s! Good to know I'm not alone, at least.

I looked at marking the packets, too. I'd rather not have to do it that way. My router does run DD-WRT, and thus could do it with iptables, but I've had bad luck so far making any scripts work on that thing and I am currently thinking of changing the firmware on it anyway (current version is the VPN version because I originally wanted to use an OpenVPN client on the router itself, also with zero luck).

Anyway, I was thinking it should be possible to use iptables on the local machine to just send all traffic from port 22 back through the LAN's gateway instead of the OpenVPN tun device. Doesn't it seem like something that should, in principle, be simple to do?

Sometimes IPtables makes me feel like a gorilla trying to program a VCR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast