Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu 12.10 & Windows 8 oem

Beans

Re: ubuntu 12.10 & Windows 8 oem

OK I think it works I can boot into both Ubuntu and windows 8 (through the UEFI Windows selection on grub2) after selecting UEFI windows in grub 2 it takes me to a Windows Advance startup page where i can select start windows, repair etc.

I thought it would load directly to windows8 but I am satisfied with this as long as it works. Thank you so much oldfred and YannBuntu. I will mark thread as solved and also write my exact cumputer model and hardware and the eact steps i took to get it working so people with the same computer and issue can just follow.

Also I think it may have worked on an earlier try but like an idiot i never tried to hit the start windows from that second windows page that you go to from grub. Since i purchased a Japanese computer (and i CANT read Japanese I just ignored it on the earlier attempts) I live in Japan so and it was cheaper for me to buy here and my wife gets discount so that is reason I have JP computer.

Again Thank you so much!

Beans

VAIO T Series 13 inch (Only Japan has 13 model I believe)  
    SVT1312AJ
    Windows 8 64 Bit (oem)
    Hybred HDD 320GB(+SSD 32GB)-Intel SRT
    Core i3-3217U(1.80GHz)
    4GB Memory(4GB×1)
    Insyde H20 UEFI

So just to make it clear on what I did to get dual boot with a brand new VAIO T Series with a OEM install of Windows 8 64bit.
    (I'm sure ther are more efficient ways such as using the ubuntu remix iso so you dont have to install boot-repair each time but as i didnt want to download again and put on USB I just used my regular Ubuntu64bit ISO)

1. In windows went to power management and turned off fast-start
    2. went to advance start up and choose UEFI settings
    3. In the UEFI BIOS settings I Disabled secure boot and Intel AT service (I wont use anti theft) Saved and Exit
    4. booted USB ubuntu64 ISO into live mode
    5. connected to wireless Internet
    6. Ran the install Ubuntu and used the Install Ubuntu alongside Windows option Not the Manual install.
    7. adusted partitions through installer and installed normally
    8. after install rebooted and grub appeared showing sda3 and 5 for windows and windows recovery tried both but both were error bug# 1024383
    9. rebooted into ubuntu live mode, connect internet and added boot-repair repositry and installed boot-repar
    10. ran boot-repar with reccomended setting.
    11. rebooted and voila UEFI WIndows entry added to grub.
    12. choose UEFI Windows entry which took me to Windows advance starup screen (blue one) choose start windows and done.

So basically just same as instructed on the ubuntu UEFI documentation just with the making sure the fast-start is off Havent tried to turn back on Inter SRt yet.

Hope this helps

Beans

OK back again. After rebooting from Windows 8 I no longer get the grub menu and it boots straight into Windows. I believe i read somewhere that Windows 8 overwrites something on reboot, I was hoping that didnt apply to me so I will do some searching and try and find a resolution. Again any help would be appreciated in the mean time. I guess I jumped the gun there when I marked thread as SOLVED.

Update: (hopefully last one) I rebooted into USB ubuntu live mode and re-ran boot-repair http://paste.ubuntu.com/1410345
    and rebooted and grub menu was back. I was then able to boot into Windows through the UEFI Windows Loader entry. I then restarted and shutdown in windows 8 to see if grub would return. Grub returned and all is good. I think the last time i ran boot-repair the package https://launchain thanks to Ypad.net/~yannubuntu/+archive/boot-repair/+packages was not published yet. Again thank you Yannubuntu and oldfred for advice.
    Last edited by Dendo; December 4th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for update and glad you got it working.

Those that search forum may find you explanation very helpful.

I will also link to this thread for others with Window 8 & Intel SRT issues.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: ubuntu 12.10 & Windows 8 oem

@Fred: the last days PPA versions of Boot-Repair (3.195~ppa19 to 22 i think) had bugs which prevented the creation of Windows UEFI entries, and that corresponded with what Dendo observed, so this case may not be related to SRT.

@Dendo: please could you re-activate SRT and tell us if that stops access to Windows?
    - if no, then perfect, leave it like this.
    - if yes, please run the Recommended Repair and tell us the new URL, then deactivate SRT, and tell us if the problem persists.

Beans

@oldfred thank you again

@YannBuntu Ok you got it, I will try and turn on the SRT and report back.

Beans

Hello,
    I have no experience with UEFI and need to buy new laptop. How is your progress and experience in using your vaio? If you did successfully install Ubuntu, do you have any issues with drivers?
    Im attempting to buy Sony Vaio ultrabook SVT 1312V1ES:
    Proc: i5 - 3317U 1,7G (2,6G Max)
    Graphics: INTEL HD 4000
    128 GB SSD
    4 GB RAM
    Just not sure if I will be able to use Linux properly. I dont care Win 8, dual boot is ok but without Windows is also fine!
    Would you recommend to install Linux on UEFI or legacy mode?
    Thanks!
    Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12