Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edimax 7811 / Realtek 8192CU

Beans

Edimax 7811 / Realtek 8192CU

i just got this edimax 7811un wireless adapter and it says connection established but i get a dns error here is some things i've been able to compile and i have 12.04 please help this is so frustrating[ATTACH][ATTACH]Screenshot from 2012-12-02 17:25:42.png[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iamrandy; December 3rd, 2012 at 02:30 AM.

Beans

Re: can't get wireless adapter to connect to router

Your Edimax wireless card uses a Realtek 8192CU chipset. This chipset has known bugs in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 12.10.

The common solution is to download the newest driver from Realtek's website, build the driver, blacklist the old driver, and enable the new module to load at each boot-up. Details here in my answer #2 in the thread below (I have tested this with my 8192CU cards in both 12.04 and 12.10):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2076315

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A 10.42.0.xx IP address is typical of an ad-hoc computer-to-computer connection sharing arrangement. It is usually the result of filling in settings by clicking the Network Manager icon and selecting 'Create New Wireless Network...' Is that what you did? Is your wireless set to Infrastructure or Ad Hoc? Please see attached. Disregard the MTU setting.

I suggest you set to Infrastructure, wipe out all settings and let Network Manager discover your router and connect all by itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

i have downloaded the files but that's as far as i can get i am not very good at this but please any help is much appreciated thank you

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamrandy View Post
    i have downloaded the files but that's as far as i can get i am not very good at this but please any help is much appreciated thank you
    With the utmost respect to my colleague ahallubuntu, I suggest you sort out the Infrastructure issue first and then decide if you need a new driver.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

ok i did the infrasructure thing and it keeps asking me for the password over and over

Beans
    Distro

ok i did the infrasructure thing and it keeps asking me for the password over and over
    OK, now I'd try the newer driver.

ahallubuntu?

Beans

like i said i downloaded the drivers but i have no idea what to do with them

Beans

After you download (should be just one file zip to start that gets expanded to many), double-click on the zip file you downloaded and say "extract." That should create a directory in your home Downloads directory. The current version is called "RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v3.4.4_4749.20121105 " but that will change (for future readers of this thread) as Realtek updates the driver in the future.

Anyway - at this point you have to start up a program in Ubuntu called "Terminal." This is kind of like "DOS" command window if you ever used old computers (before Linux), but there's not much to type. Just a few lines.

You can search Ubuntu for "terminal" and double-click on the first result to open a terminal. Then type

Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v3.4.4_4749.20121105/
    (again, that name at the end will change - depends on what the name was of the file you downloaded).

then type in the terminal window:

Code:
    chmod 755 ./install.sh
    (hit Enter)

then type

Code:
    sudo ./install.sh
    (hit enter and and type your password)

That should build the new driver.

Finally, you have to blacklist the old driver files and add the name of the module (driver) you just built to the modules file, so wireless is always enabled when you turn on the computer. The instructions for editing those files are give in that same link I gave you before:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2076315

If you are having issues, where are you getting exactly stuck?

Beans

ok this is what i tried and this is what happened

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast