Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Why all the Gnome Shell Hate?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why all the Gnome Shell Hate?

I have to say I've tried to get along with Unity, we just don't mix well although a lot of people new to linux and those who pay my bills tend to love it. Every now and then I'll try installing it, and I have to say that in the latest release it is stable and functions without significant glitches and for basic work, checking email, and occasional play Unity is great, when I need to find an obscure program I haven't used in months to solve one particular customer's problem I begin to dislike Unity intensly and in the end Gnome3 vanishes from my box rather quickly. It's kind of a strange evolution for me, I started off hating Gnome on other Linux distros then I discovered Ubuntu and I began falling in love with Gnome after years of disliking it, then Unity came along and KDE or Kubuntu was my immediate fall back, perhaps it's just that we're all creatures of habit. For me Gnome3 and I have just had a really bad and painful breakup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I'm pretty happy with Gnome 3.6.

A lot of the hate directed at Gnome Shell seems to smell a great deal of fanboyism and a desire just to pile on. Shell isn't perfect, yet I see many erroneous and unfactual attacks posted by people who either have not used it or who are just lying. In addition, people rant about default settings that can be altered without bothering to find out that they are, in fact, default settings that can be changed.

If someone had a great deal invested in a highly tweaked Gnome 2 setup, I can understand they would be upset that Gnome 2 died.But, the demise of Gnome 2 and the design of Gnome 3 are two separate events. The death of Gnome 2 illustrates that Linux users really have little influence on the course of events. If we did, if a critical mass of Gnome 2 users existed two years ago, we might have had a voice in the course Gnome took. But, we lack that influence in Gnome or any other similar project. As it stands, users have more say in the future of Windows and OS X than in Linux because those companies will, sooner or later, change their products in response to poor sales. Money is an effective transmission medium for user likes and dislikes. Linux has no equivalent.
    This is true, but at the same time I believe the developers are motivated to get as many people using their "product" as possible. The Gnome guys can't possibly like the fact that a huge percentage of people who were on Gnome 2 just a year or two ago are now using a different DE. Sure, that's not as strong a motivator as money, but it's definitely something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    This is true, but at the same time I believe the developers are motivated to get as many people using their "product" as possible. The Gnome guys can't possibly like the fact that a huge percentage of people who were on Gnome 2 just a year or two ago are now using a different DE. Sure, that's not as strong a motivator as money, but it's definitely something.
    +1, nobody develops something and says "Oh cool, nobody likes what we've done, let's keep right on making something nobody likes".
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by meteorrock View Post
    I am just lovingggggggg Gnome 3 here. This desktop is for the younger users of linux. Doest look all old and worn out like the other DEs. Unity kinds of, you know, like takes up too much screenspace when it opens.

This Ubuntu Gnome remix roxs. Looks all modern.
    I found unity is one of the best DE's when it comes to screenspace, its very optimized for lower res widescreen monitors, making it a great laptop interface. The global menu and the way maximised windows integrate with the top panel saves a lot of vertical screen space, and the launcher on the left can be set to autohide.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity is the best desktop for screen space. Gnome takes slightly less space, but unity manages to save the space without sacrificing functionality, something that gnome does greatly unless you fill it with plugins.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Unity is the best desktop for screen space.
    As time goes on, Unity and GS become more n' more alike.

Can't really see much (if any) difference in real estate usage...

* Ubuntu 13.10 / Gnome-Shell 3.9.2 / Linux 3.10 / Nouveau Drivers / Conky / ConkyWX
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That looks great, VinDSL!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    That looks great, VinDSL!
    Thanks!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

I am a heavy keyboard-shortcut user, especially when using Libreoffice. I do prefer gnome that has no problem with LO, but still stuck in unity for several weeks and still have problem with LO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With enough plugins you can turn GS into anything. But out of the box it is very lacking.

Actually, it seems most major Linux players are really dropping the ball on sensitive defaults nowadays. Linux Mint chokes you with Mono. Ubuntu chokes you with Amazon, GS is barely useful.
    ---------
    But if that unity-looking GS setup has progress bars in the dock buttons and quicklists, then I am going to move to GS right away. I still wouldn't recommend it for new users though.

Edit: Nah, although the desktop-view makes the interface look like unity, in real usage it still wouldn't have as much space saving as unity. It lacks the global menu...
    Last edited by vexorian; June 5th, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast