Thread: How good is Ubuntu studio for acer aspire 5755G?

Beans

Question How good is Ubuntu studio for acer aspire 5755G?

Hi guys,

I am using ubuntu 12.04LTS on acer aspire 5755G, last night I found some good apps that are very useful for me which are inbuilt in ubuntu studio.

After that straight away I fired up with Live Ubuntu Studio CD and had a tour. It was really cool and smooth. But I found the desktop was completely different compared to ubuntu 12.04LTS, no launcher, no lens, themes,top bar and etc.

So bit confused and wanted to ask

1# whether it is completely or partially different from ubuntu 12.04LTS desktop interface?
    2# What all are the changes that have made to ubuntu studio vs ubuntu ?
    3# Will I get the same performance as ubuntu 12.04LTS ?
    4# Is it possible to get all apps and features of ubuntu studio to ubuntu ?
    5# Will Acer Aspire 5755G able to make use of Ubuntu Studio features with full potential?

Many Thanks in Adavnce

PS:
    My System Specs are as follows:

Screen Size 15.6 inches
    Processor Type Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed 2.5 GHz (Turbo boost upto 3.1GHz)
    Memory RAM Size 8 GB
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Size 750 GB
    Graphics Card DescriptionNVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
    Graphics Card Ram Size 1 GB VRAM
    Pioneer DVD Super Multi DL Drive
    HDMI out
    USB 3.0
    Audio Combo Jack
    Acer Crystal HD Webcam
    Average Battery Life (in hours)4.5 hours
    Last edited by acerbuntu; December 3rd, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Edit PS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: How good is Ubuntu studio for acer aspire 5755G?

1. Completly different UI. UStudio uses XFCE, Ubuntu uses gnome3+Unity.
    2. Lowlatency kernel, diffrent DE, diffrent default apps.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.
    5. It should. If you don't complain on Ubuntu, Studio should be just as fine or better, since it's lighter.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It depends on you, as @jejeman has said the Desktop Environment is different, what you are missing are the Unity trimmings, Ubuntu Studio went XFCE. I was also a Unity fan for the lenses and scopes and launcher, but XFCE is not that hard to learn after all.

There is Dream Studio that uses Unity as default, but it is IMHO Ubuntu Studio customized, it is okay, I have used it. But there is something in Ubuntu Studio 12.04 which reminds one of the old Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx. For performance it is superb, even faster and better than the Unity experience under Dream Studio ( Also IMHO)

So to each his own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jejeman View Post
    1. Completly different UI. UStudio uses XFCE, Ubuntu uses gnome3+Unity.
    2. Lowlatency kernel, diffrent DE, diffrent default apps.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.
    5. It should. If you don't complain on Ubuntu, Studio should be just as fine or better, since it's lighter.
    Hi jejeman,

Sorry bit busy to reply straight away. Thank you very much for your helpful advice. Finally after trying ubuntu studio as fresh install I agree with your solution and I am not liking it much even it is faster as I can say with my experience that It is not more faster but faster.
    So I am going to stick with ubuntu by getting ubuntu studio apps along with my lovely battery (6-7hrs with browsing and documentation)

Quote Originally Posted by mungatsuma View Post
    It depends on you, as @jejeman has said the Desktop Environment is different, what you are missing are the Unity trimmings, Ubuntu Studio went XFCE. I was also a Unity fan for the lenses and scopes and launcher, but XFCE is not that hard to learn after all.

There is Dream Studio that uses Unity as default, but it is IMHO Ubuntu Studio customized, it is okay, I have used it. But there is something in Ubuntu Studio 12.04 which reminds one of the old Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx. For performance it is superb, even faster and better than the Unity experience under Dream Studio ( Also IMHO)

So to each his own.
    Hi Mungatsuma,

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with you and as I said above I didn't like much either of the studio distros.

I think I completely fell in love with my tweaked ubuntu and its great battery performance. So I am going to get Ubuntu studio apps to my Ubuntu and enjoy with unity lens and scopes.

Thank you guys again. TC.