Thread: How to Make a backup

Beans

How to Make a backup

Hey, how can i make a backup of the configs of my system? I spent hours trying to fix the video problems and now finally everything is working fine, i wanted to have a backup just in case.
    Thank you.

Beans

Re: How to Make a backup

Configuration files are usually stored in the /etc directory and in your home directory. Backing up these two locations on a regular basis is a good way to make sure your personal files and all configuration settings are safe. The easiest way to do that is probably to hook up an external drive and run a command like

cp -R /etc ~ /media/external-drive

Where "external-drive" is the directory where your USB drive is attached to the system.

Beans

Re: How to Make a backup

Quote Originally Posted by thnewguy View Post
    Configuration files are usually stored in the /etc directory and in your home directory. Backing up these two locations on a regular basis is a good way to make sure your personal files and all configuration settings are safe. The easiest way to do that is probably to hook up an external drive and run a command like

cp -R /etc ~ /media/external-drive

Where "external-drive" is the directory where your USB drive is attached to the system.
    Thank you!