Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Reuse Object (JAVA)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unable to Reuse Object (JAVA)

I have a login prompt.
    Username & password checked on a DB.
    DB returns the user's full name & access level.
    If exactly one result, creates User(username, fullName, accessLevel) object.

I need to retrieve accessLevel from different panels that display components depending on it.

How do I get that same object's fullName and accessLevel from a new panel?

I am running into a catch22. I can create the object using the query results as soon as the user is authenticated.
    Code:
    IManageUser user = User(userName, fullName, accessLevel)
    But my whole purpose of creating this user class is so I can access fullName & accessLevel from many different panels. But to instantiate it, I already have to know this information. Useless... There's gotta be an easier way, right?

I created an interface for the object but that only works within the panel that captured the username. It is captured from the textfield where the user entered it, at the login prompt.

How do I give EVERY panel access to that same information?
    Kevin Harper
    http://www.kevinharper.com/

Ubuntu: Because rebooting is ONLY for installing hardware

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unable to Reuse Object (JAVA)

I thought about not creating a User object and just saving query results to some completely public variables. But in the future I may want to do more things, beyond saving/accessing three fields/vars.

Besides, not really sure how to do this either. Any help with this would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kevin Harper

Beans

Something you should perhaps look into is the Singleton Pattern. It basically allows a single object instance be used anywhere in an application... and it's always the same instance.

For your problem, where you may have more than one user, you could have a UserStore class which is a singleton and has the users in it.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro

So it is only one user.
    The person logs in and the program acts according to the user's access level.
    In it's simplest form, my need is having global access to the username the user logged in with, and fullName & accessLevel which are returned by the database. At this point I am willing to pass on the user object just to get this to work and I can move on.

I saw a few posts about the singleton pattern but not the link you provided. I'll take a few minutes to read through it.

But given my essential need (the one I've posted a few lines above), do you think it applies?
    Last edited by kevinharper; December 2nd, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    Kevin Harper

Beans

The singleton sounds pretty much exactly what you want, it basically give global access to an object (in your case, your User object). Any other class in your application can access this user object and use its methods etc.

What you could do, is initialise the singleton when the user logs in. Then any other part of your application could use the information for that user.

Let's say your singleton is called User, the bits in your application code could be like:

Code:
    String name = User.getInstance().getFullName();

The singleton pattern is sometimes criticised or introducing "global state" in an application... but you would be surprised how much this is used in the real world.
    Last edited by KdotJ; December 2nd, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro

Yep... AWESOME. Looks like this is exactly what I need.

Once again, thank you!
    Kevin Harper

Beans

No problem! Good luck with the application
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro

Worked like a charm and was EXTREMELY easy to do.

Crazy thing is that I was very close to doing this just by trying to figure out how I could do it on my own. There are a couple of things though that mentally would have prevented me from ever getting to this solution/conclusion on my own. So yes... Thank you! This puts me at about 60% done w/ the project.
    Kevin Harper

Beans
    Distro

So it looks promising.

But I have reopened this issue because although the class the singleton User class is available to all other objects, the objects are pulling values as soon as the program starts... BEFORE the user logs in. This sets the values to "null" wherever I want dynamic content (based on User-class field values).

Values within the User class shouldn't get set until the user successfully logs in. What's the kosher way to do this?
    Kevin Harper

Beans
    Distro

I guess I should explain where I think the problem I'm having comes from...

Program starts with a CardLayout that switches through 3 panels (login, login error, login success).

Login success panel, in turn, contains another cardlayout (among other objects). So when the program starts, ALL of this is loaded at once. And because User doesn't get set until the user logs in, all JPanels testing the user's accessLevel get null values.

I'm guessing there is a way to not load "cards" until an event happens.
    Kevin Harper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast