Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: App for Streaming Torrents

Beans

App for Streaming Torrents

Hi Guys,

I need an application that can stream/play videos from torrent files while downloading, something utorrent/Bittorrent does in windows. Tried many torrent clients for linux but didn't find this functionality.

Please help me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: App for Streaming Torrents

Well You can try Miro. The Linux version is a powerful torrent client, a media player as well as a converter. This is something that was not there in the windows version (last time I checked). Good thing is once installed it associates torrent link file options hence no extra tweaking.

If you miss Utorrent so much, it is installable in Ubuntu, just follow the tutorial at this link
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/10409...t-step-by-step

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Torrents won't work that way. Pieces of the file are downloaded as they become available. So it is entirely possible to download the end of the file long before the beginning gets downloaded. You'll have to wait for the torrent to finnish to be sure to have the pieces in the right order.

Beans

@mungatsuma

I have tried miro. It plays videos only after the entire video is downloaded. That is not what I am looking for, I am searching for an app that streams/plays videos in torrent files while it is being downloaded.

The only reason to miss utorrent is that they have added this new functionality in their latest version. I have already tried 'utorrent server' as mentioned in your link but that does not add that functionality.

@Lars

Now a days torrents do work in this way. They can download the files sequentially so that streaming/playing videos while downloading is possible. Check the latest utorrent client for window, if you can. You will find the button stream which plays videos that are currently being downloaded. Check this link http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-add...upport-091217/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Torrents won't work that way. Pieces of the file are downloaded as they become available. So it is entirely possible to download the end of the file long before the beginning gets downloaded. You'll have to wait for the torrent to finnish to be sure to have the pieces in the right order.
    ktorrent, qbitorrent both allow previewing, I have been doing it for years.

I am sure most torrent applications allow it, I currently use KTorrent and it allow preview.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

@haqking

I have tried previewing in qBittorrent, its not working for videos that are still downloading. Its works flawless only for videos that are 100% downloaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by prince2689 View Post
    @Lars

Now a days torrents do work in this way. They can download the files sequentially so that streaming/playing videos while downloading is possible. Check the latest utorrent client for window, if you can. You will find the button stream which plays videos that are currently being downloaded. Check this link http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-add...upport-091217/
    Cool. I'll have to check to see how to do that with Transmission.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prince2689 View Post
    @haqking

I have tried previewing in qBittorrent, its not working for videos that are still downloading. Its works flawless only for videos that are 100% downloaded.
    been a while since i used QBittorrent I use Ktorrent now, but to be honest I rarely need to preview anymore as im on Fibre and its downloaded before i settled down to preview I will double-check with Dexter and Boardwalk Empire later
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

@haqking

Not everyone is as lucky as you.....
    So help me to complete my hunt, so that i can feel better

Beans

I found a solution with the help of @HalationEffect

Solution:

Install Media Player plugin into Ktorrent. Start downloading the video file from torrent. Add that file to the playlist of the media player. This makes libktorrent to switch to sequential mode. Then after appropriate download usually 5-10% of the file, click play and enjoy the video while it is downloading !!!!

KTorrent is the best Torrent client......

Thanks All.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast