Thread: installed 32-bit xubuntu on 64-bit dual-core.. should/can I upgrade?

Beans

installed 32-bit xubuntu on 64-bit dual-core.. should/can I upgrade?

My question has a few parts: I just installed the 32-bit version of xubuntu a couple days ago on a Dell optiplex GX620 with 486 MB SDRAM (i know) and a 3 GHz dual-core processor with 2 MB L2 cache memory.

I plan on adding 2 GB of RAM (this should be easy right?), bringing the specs up to just under 2.5 GB memory. I've heard that some of the advantages of 64-bit computing come with a larger available memory space, starting at 3 GB. Is there any reason to install 64-bit xubuntu? If so, is it possible to upgrade from the 32-bit version I currently have installed without having to reinstall everything else on here? And lastly, as things stand right now with me running the 32-bit system, if I am installing a program that has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions available, does it make a difference which one I install?

Thanks in advance!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: installed 32-bit xubuntu on 64-bit dual-core.. should/can I upgrade?

If your installing packages through the Software Center it will choose the right (32 or 64) package.

If you are running 32 bit and want to go to 64 bit, you will need to reinstall.

And last 32 vs 64

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...Search&lang=en

Welcome to the forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post

If you are running 32 bit and want to go to 64 bit, you will need to reinstall.
    +1. Welcome to the forums. And yes, your system will install appropriate software for your install.

Beans

It turns out there are only 2 RAM slots in the computer (it's a pretty small box). Right now, I have 2x1GB cards in there.. I'm considering swapping one out with a 2 gb if i find a cheap one, or maybe even both. I'm still trying to get the hang of all this but even with just 2 GB RAM now my computer is running WAAAAY smoother than it was before.. responsiveness is pretty much immediate, though streaming video can be a little choppy. Haven't tried any hardware-intensive games yet.

If I do get 2x2GB memory cards, I suppose I should consider trying to switch to 64-bit xubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If I do get 2x2GB memory cards, I suppose I should consider trying to switch to 64-bit xubuntu?
    Before you go to the expense of buying that much RAM just make sure your motherboard supports that much memory.
    If it does then that should be a consideration to use all the memory in an optimum manner.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hmsimha View Post

+1. With a dual-core processor you should be using that anyway.