Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audio over HDMI issues

Beans

Re: Audio over HDMI issues

It is very strange. I put in a DVD in my xbox and it plays as 5.1 and the receiver recognizes it instantly as dolby digital, however after installing the dvdrom in my myth box, that same dvd shows up as stereo or Multi In.

With the terminal speaker test for the 8 channels, all (5.1 worked) the extra two played in their respective speakers unless I used -c 6. It looks (at least to me) that the computer can do 5.1 however during the test it said "Multi In".

The ELD filename output IIRC was after the update and reboot. There is no other Eld file listed at this point.

I did starting mythfrontend with verbose logging however I wasn't sure about the "-v audio" part. I have a few lines where it said "echo 384 | sudo tee /proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc" which I did with no change. One line said to echo in 3008 but again, nothing different happened.

Should I just be getting an inexpensive Nvidia card at this point? Should I get one with HDMI on the back or since my mobo has HDMI, would I be using that port? Since it's only video output (I assume) and I do not have an optical port how would I get sound? Sorry for the turn in the thread. I just don't get what is going on with the current situation, especially when a DVD doesn't even play directly from the DVDrom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry couldn't login yesterday..
    I wouldn't give up on intel soln just for audio reasons..

With discete PCIe video card you would used the card HDMI.
    The mobo HDMI video output would not be driven by discrete card.
    The mobo HDMI jack could be driven by mobo/iGFX only if BIOS & chipset allow.
    Intel "H" chipset does not.

All the recent model video cards output audio over HDMI.
    Note the GTX200 series did not, GT200 series did with diff capability.
    Some very old mobo graphics did.

speaker-test can only test discrete channel audio (no AC3 5.1 etc), so stereo or "multi" is correct.

mythfrontend -v help
    - to see all options
    mythfrontend -v audio
    - verbose audio logging & exercising the audio testing tools generates lots of useful info..(maybe audio is not an option??)

The amp indicating "multi" suggests MythTV is outputting multi-ch LPCM over HDMI rather than bit-streaming the "raw" AC3/DTS/DTS-MA.
    This is arguably the highest possible quality audio output but requires the software decoder to be better than the HTamp's decoder & that is a concern.
    i.e. (multi) myth is decoding AC3 (etc) & outputting discrete audio channels.

I'm (fairly) sure you can set MythTV to bitstream all "matrix encoded" audio streams. For this to work you must have unticked up-mixing & unticked software volume control.
    Is there an "enable pass-through" setting?
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; December 11th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Beans

@bicyclerboy, I have the Intel H67bl, from your last post I take it that the HDMI output will not work properly?

I was unable to get it working in 11.10 fixes and I was told when 12.04 comes out it will work, I was going to update but if it still does not work I might just wait.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My intel GFX is not used as HTPC..

The H chipsets do not support onboard (iCPU/iGfx) & discrete PCIe to be active together, Just one or the other.
    The H chipsets should be capable of HDMI HDA audio.

From what I have read & feedback from others..there is a lot to gain & only a little risk in using xorg-edgers ppa.
    There was a lot of intel HD3000/4000/cedarview graphics & HDMI commits in kernel 3.5.

If you wait for 12.04 distro to get to 3.5 you'll be waiting for a long time maybe forever.
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; December 12th, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Beans

So I have a bit of (hopefully) funny news. I was scratching my head playing with VLC and my testing with my DVD that has 5.1. For the life of me I couldn't (and can't) get it to play in surround. I got VLC to show Dolby Digital in the drop down and selected it but it stayed as stereo regardless.

Fast forward a few hours.......

Then I decided to try combinations from the frontend (I tried mythfrontend -v audio). It gave a slew of info in verbose mode but nothing that stood out to me. I continued different combinations of options in the audio setup until I found to my surprise that even though we said originally I should use: alsa:hw:CARD=PCH,DEV3 (Direct hardware without conversion), if I use: ALSA:hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 (HDA Intel PCH, HDMI0 HDMI Audio Output (AVR connected to HDMI) I get 5.1 on live/recorded TV! Further DEV0 shows up correctly on my AVR display.

After reading your post (and the Direct Hardware description) I definitely thought that was the correct one to use. I'm not sure what the difference is with DEV0 vs DEV3 but so far it is working.

VLC on the other hand even with that DEV0 selected, refuses to work right. It is far less of a concern since I will only be playing DVDs/other files a smaller percent of the time. I'd like to know what to do to fix it but again, not a huge concern.

And it pains me to revisit since the purpose was to be as green as possible, but what video card would help my video performance/clarity without being "too much"? I have a Picture in picture feature and the second window is unwatchable. My assumption is that I need more video processing. I was looking at the nvidia GT630 with 2GB of ram but I'm not sure if it's shear core mhz or shader speed I need or amount of RAM for HTCP stuff. I think that card is cheap enough but has decent specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great stuff..
    Maybe the "hdmi:..DEV=0" device has a different set of audio capabilities even tho it is essentially the same device as hw:..DEV=3.

MythTV plays DVDs fine here..was a recent menu stutter patch. this also seem to have cured an odd screen focus problem.

Are you now using xorg-edgers ppa for kernel & intel drivers ?
    Are you using VA-API ?
    Did you try the built-in video playback method tester?

AFAICT the GT630 should be the best choice ATM. VDPAU had 512MB was minimum, sometimes the models with more RAM have a lower/slower shader performance.
    DDR3 is better than DDR2.

A kepler based card a bit faster shader than GT430 would be perfect (630 is a rebadged 500 model possibly slightly re-jigged).
    The fermi & kepler cards can decode 2 HD streams for stereoscopic. The driver does not enable this?

It is quite difficult to find hard facts about these HTPC cards without buying them..

Beans

I first install vainfo from the "regular" repos and it may have pulled in vaapi with it. After that installed, I started using the xorg-edgers PPA and grabbed all the updates. I'm not sure if maybe I should reinstall them now or if it would have grabbed updates and applied them after the fact.

The built in tests for HD content from the wizard plays fine. I have more an issue with live TV (recorded is good as well). I have three tuners so doing picture in picture is a no-go at the moment. I'm assuming that is video card related (but maybe it just doesn't work right?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

MythTV won't use va-api unless it is set in FE/setup/TV settings/playback/video-profiles.

Note you have to use openGL painter with va-api.

You have no shortage of CPU processing power for decoding additional stream, I don't know if MythTV can do pic-in-pic with VA-API.
    But if you are using openGL decode now then pic-in-pic should be working.

Beans

When I try to select VAAPI from the setup wizard I get an error that it can't use it (the test SD and HD video clips also fail to play)

I have made sure I installed:
    libdrm-intel1
    libva1
    libva-intel-vaapi-driver
    gstreamer0.10-vaapi
    vainfo

Not sure why but maybe if I could use VAAPI, my performance would be better. Is there another package I should install? Currently the display wizard is set to "Normal".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Run in a terminal:
    glxinfo | grep -i opengl
    vainfo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast