Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Server Website Possibility?

Re: Home Server Website Possibility?

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/
    surely will be needed sooner or later.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Home Server Website Possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/
    surely will be needed sooner or later.
    booked marked immediately, liked the first paragraph and already knew it would be useful. Thanks

Beans

To run any of website you need a server & web hosting for this you can take a service of any web hosting service provider or maintain your own server from home.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    If you only need the stream/upload/download you mentioned, you don't even need a webpage or webserver.

The upload/download is write/read to a network storage location. Just use simple Samba for that and both windows and ubuntu can access the shares and use the files.

The stream part also depends how are you accessing it. For example, if you use a media player to open a media file, reading the file from the share is enough.
    On the other hand, if some device in your home expect to find a working media server (like a TV ttrying to play a movie) you can install something like MiniDLNA or Twonky.

In any case, a webpage is not necessary in the above scenarios and only makes things more complicated.
    yeah your right, i would just like to have one for personal use/experience. i just want to "create" something

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Home Server Website Possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Instead of coding the whole thing yourself you could take a look at some of the projects that already exist such as AjaXplorer and ownCloud.
    i tried owncloud but it is kinda limited. I was hoping to get like full access to everything on my server. Like my own website for my self with a cool way to access my files and down load them, lets say from drop down bars, or my own search engine.. is there anything of that you know? cause that will be a long project for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Smile Re: Home Server Website Possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by BStrizzy View Post
    i tried owncloud but it is kinda limited. I was hoping to get like full access to everything on my server. Like my own website for my self with a cool way to access my files and down load them, lets say from drop down bars, or my own search engine.. is there anything of that you know? cause that will be a long project for me
    Depending on what you want to do?:

*Do want to share files over a Windows Network -SAMBA
    *Linux Network -NFS
    *Do to want to play videos on your TV from your 'Server'?
    *If you have a Playstation 3(I do) - 'PS3 Media Server.'
    *If you want to have local (or online website -check your ISP's Term Agreement ,FIRST!) -LAMP

There are several good how to sites for Ubuntu,or Linux Home Server...ie: search :"Linux Home Server."

Quote Originally Posted by BStrizzy View Post
    Awesome I will look into this, but I will just be using this home server website to be a local thing. I do not want it out on the air.
    And there is the mandatory Security concerns that go along with self-hosting.
    Same a a Dedicated Server, All Yours, Captain!

Installing a Intraweb webserver would be safe as long as there is a router in front of your network connection.

DNS would be an issue -
    You would have to access the site internally via ipa.ddr.ess or resolve the domain(.com) with BIND, or /etc/hosts edit(s).

So, if http://127.0.0.1 is acceptable, then install away and have fun learning.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12