Thread: Black Screen Installing 12.10

Beans

Question Black Screen Installing 12.10

Hi there. I'm having problem after installing Ubuntu 12.10.

I know my video card isn't good. To get install I follow up the instruction on how to set the "nomodeset" during the installation with live CD.

After the installation finished, restarted the PC, but get the black screen again. I follow up the procedure to edit the GRUB by holding the shift key - select the Ubuntu version - select E to edit the kernel - replace the "quiet splash" for "nomodeset" - hit ctrl-x to restart... after restart I get a window that says "the system is running in low-graphics mode".... I press OK.... them other window tell me "What would you like to do" and 4 optios: 1)Run in low-graphics mode for just one session. 2)Reconfigure graphics. 3) Troubleshoot the error. 4)exit to console login.

If I selet No. 1 another small window displays that says "Stand by one minute while the display restart" but does nothing, if I press OK the screen turns black with stripes.

Options 2 does nothing, option 3 takes me to check the X.org file.

SO, what to do?

Toshiba Satellite P205-S6337
    Intel chipset G945
    2GM memory
    HDD 200GB

THANKS for you help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Black Screen Installing 12.10

Do you have more details about your video graphics on board? You can post details from BIOS.

Beans

Yes, I have the Mobile Intel 945 Express. (I'm running W7, but the VC is disable)

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would try:

i915.modeset=1

if that doesn't work:

i915.modeset=0

you may also need any of the other boot options including:

noapic

acpi=no

I'm suspecting this is just the common 945 problems. While they may not be for your particular release, search the forum with 945 in the search box. Also try a web search with:

ubuntu 945

in the search string. You can try to narrow it down more by:

ubuntu <your release here> 945

That's how a lot of us go looking for answers to questions posted here.

Beans

Thanks squakie, I'm gonna try that. So, I'm going to replace the "quiet splash" for i915.nonodeset=1

I let you know whats going on.

Beans

There is also a backlight issue on some of them. Try adding the "acpi_backlight=vendor" and/or
    "acpi_osi=Linux" to the grub cfg as a one-time via boot options, or permanent afterwards. I don't know if the Low Graphics mode forces the kernel to not mess with backlight or not, but, since it is a laptop, and I had a problem with that, that is how I fixed it. Also, if you have brightness buttons, you could try to raise the brightness with those to see if it works, if so, the first code should fix it.

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Edit the two lines
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor vga=792"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

sudo update-grub

sudo reboot
    From http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1864513

I would leave out the "vga=792" option though.
    Last edited by Nightcreeper; December 4th, 2012 at 06:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcreeper View Post
    There is also a backlight issue on some of them. Try adding the "acpi_backlight=vendor" and/or
    "acpi_osi=Linux" to the grub cfg as a one-time via boot options, or permanent afterwards. I don't know if the Low Graphics mode forces the kernel to not mess with backlight or not, but, since it is a laptop, and I had a problem with that, that is how I fixed it. Also, if you have brightness buttons, you could try to raise the brightness with those to see if it works, if so, the first code should fix it.

From http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1864513

I would leave out the "vga=792" option though.
    I have tried boht and get the same....