Thread: Can't install borderlands using POL or wine

Beans

Can't install borderlands using POL or wine

Hello all, I'm using Ubuntu x64 12.10, and I'm currently unable to install Borderlands using playonlinux or wine.

When I try to install using the POL present, it gets to the very last step where the VC C++ 2008 installer tries to run, and it puts out this error:

Internal errors - Invalid parameters received

If I try using wine, I run this command:

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wine winecfg
    but it freezes, with these results:

Code:
    wine: created the configuration directory '/home/user/.wine/borderlands'
    fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
    err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xefe2f8, overlapped 0xefe310): stub
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x101e8d0, overlapped 0x101e8dc): stub
    wine: configuration in '/home/user/.wine/borderlands' has been updated.
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Beans

Re: Can't install borderlands using POL or wine

Just some advice from the Wine APPDb:

Index

• Configure wine
    • Install requirements for Borderlands to run
    • Link ~.wine/borderlands/c_drive to another location (optional)
    • Activate the game
    • Install the game
    • Patch it
    • Patch wine with mouse cursor patch to run properly with Borderlands
    • Hack registry
    • Play
    • Troubleshoot

Configure wine
    In order to have sound use the following options:
    WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wine winecfg
    Audio tab:ALSA (emulation)
    Drives tab: click on Auto-detect
    You don't need to install the Gecko engine.

Install requirements
    You will need "d3dx9" and "vcrun2005" and "vcrun2008" to run Borderlands
    So get winetricks and install all 3 properly

wget http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks
    chmod +x ./winetricks*
    WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands ./winetricks

mark "d3dx9" and "vcrun2005" and "vcrun2008" so it will install all 3 properly
    WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wineboot
    Link it (optional)
    Link /.wine/borderlands/c_drive to /..../..... whatever
    if you don't want to install 7 GB in your home. (copy the c_drive folder to the new dest. and link to it)
    Activate the game (before install)

Do the offline activation described here http://www.2kgames.com/borderlands/activation/:

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wine Borderland-ManualReleaseDateCheck.exe

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wineboot
    Install the game:

Install the game from ISO file (quicker than DVD):

Mount ISO.

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wine /cdrom/Setup.exe
    The installer wants to install vcrun2008 (Visual C++2008) don't allow it it will corrupt the vcrun2005 installation! Open htop or top and send sigterm to "vrcrun_x86.exe"

After that the initialising of the installer is freezing
    so open htop or top again and send sigterm to "dxsetup.exe" and/or "amd/ati_setup.exe"and install will continue
    Be careful to terminate the process with the higher PID otherwise install will crash. Usually the path is shown in htop and it says something like "Requirements....."

Run the game:
    You will notice that you can't move your mouse 360° in game but that's fine for now.
    Start the binary in the directory with all the other files in it and not the one in Binaries/Binaries.

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wine Borderlands.exe
    Just check if it is running.

Patch it
    Download the patch for Borderlands and install it. Change dir to the extracted patch.
    Be sure that [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\InstallFolder] is pointing to the Borderlands folder and not to Borderlands/Binaries or Borderlands/Something
    WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wine Setup.exe
    Now you can install additional DLC if you want.

Patch wine with mouse cursor patch
    Install the dependencies for wine (script works for Ubuntu only). If you don't use K/Ubuntu look here for 32 bit http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages and here for 64 bit dependencies http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

wget http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/t...l-wine-deps.sh
    sudo sh install-wine-deps.sh
    If you use Debian you can do:
    apt-get build-dep wine

Download the wine source and patch it then build it new and create a .deb package. (Patch works for see top of page)

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...1.1.34.tar.bz2
    tar xjvf wine*.tar.bz2
    cd wine-*
    For different wine version you need different patches:
    For wine 1134 to 1142 withXorg 1.7.5 or earlier you need:
    wget http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=25097 -O X.patch
    Unfortunatelley it seems that the above patch is broken with wine greater than 1142 and Xorg 1.7.5 or earlier and the new X2 patch does not work with Xorg 1.7.5so use an older wine version or a newer version of Xorg. (Currently only Ubuntu patches the Xorg 1.7.6 Server with patches from Xorg 1.8 wich make the X2 patch working)
    For Xorg 1.7.6 (ubuntu patched) you need the new X2 patch:
    This patch should work with wine 1143 to 131 but i only tested: 130 and 131
    wget http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=29313 -O X.patch
    Now apply the patch:

#Download other patches you may want at this point
    patch -p1 < X.patch
    autoreconf
    ./configure
    make depend
    make -j 2
    checkinstall -D --install=no

install with mwine if you like.
    Hack registry

Run regedit

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/borderlands wine regedit
    Browse to: Current_user/Software/Wine/ and create "DirectInput"
    Create 2 strings:
    "MouseWarpOverride" value "force-box"
    "BoxPixels" value "5"
    Now mouse will work.
    Play the game

Have fun!!!
    Troubleshoot
    Compiling

When you compile wine 34 on x64 it could happen that make stops with an error with winemp3

make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/daten/src/wine-1.1.34/dlls/winemp3.acm'
    gcc -m32 -c -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -Wpointer-arith -g -O2 -o mpegl3.o mpegl3.c
    ../../tools/winegcc/winegcc -m32 -B../../tools/winebuild --sysroot=../.. -shared ./winemp3.acm.spec mpegl3.o -o winemp3.acm.so -lwinmm -luser32 -lkernel32 ../../libs/port/libwine_port.a -lmpg123
    mpegl3.o: In function `MPEG3_Reset':
    /mnt/daten/src/wine-1.1.34/dlls/winemp3.acm/mpegl3.c:401: undefined reference to `mpg123_feedseek'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    winegcc: gcc failed
    make[2]: *** [winemp3.acm.so] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/daten/src/wine-1.1.34/dlls/winemp3.acm'
    make[1]: *** [winemp3.acm] Error 2
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

This can be fixed by rename "mpg123_feedseek" into "mpg123_feedseek_64" in wine-1.1.34/dlls/winemp3.acm/*.c

Game is slow

If the game is slow try:
    HCU | +-Software | +-Wine | +-Direct3D
    And create string: "DirectDrawRenderer" with "opengl"
    This helps a bit to smooth the game but on my machine it is not much.
    Turn FPS smoothing off
    Try to change:
    bSmoothFrameRate=True in WilllowEngine.ini to False
    Lower Texture Detail:
    WillowEngine.ini Find:
    [SystemSettings] Change MaxLODSize of:
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,L ODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSi ze=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSiz e=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=40 96,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxL ODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLO DSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096, LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODS ize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSi ze=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096 ,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLOD Size=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODS ize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=40 96,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096 ,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxL ODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096, LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODB ias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLO DSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize =4096,LODBias=0) To any of: 2048,1024, 512 or 256 (Lower is faster)
    Outline Shader is not rendered correctly.

Disable it:
    WillowEngine.ini Find:
    [Engine.Engine] Change:
    DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.Willow ScenePostProcess To:
    DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.Willo wScenePostProcess_cinematic

You can experiment with disabling the other *PostProcessName options to see what effects they have.

Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Well, I got it to install by using system monitor to kill the VB c++ installer per the advice in appdb, but now i'm seeing new errors:

Code:
    [12/01/12 22:49:27] - Running wine-1.5.18 Borderlands.exe (Working directory : /home/user/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Borderlands/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/2K Games/Gearbox Software/Borderlands GOTY Edifixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"UserAccess7" failed to start: 2
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryfixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_HANDLE_INFORMATION
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryObject Unsupported information class 3
    err:rpc:I_RpcGetBuffer no binding
    err:wgl:has_opengl Failed to load libGL: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    err:wgl:has_opengl OpenGL support is disabled.
    Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL.
    fixme:file:K32EnumPageFilesA (0x2870320, 0x39a6a24) stub
    fixme:file:K32EnumPageFilesA (0x2870320, 0x3971340) stub
    err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 156 bytes in thread 0009 eip 7bc73119 esp 03111294 stack 0x3110000-0x3111000-0x39e0000

Beans

I reinstalled my nvidia drivers.. the opengl errors have disappeared but now this...

Code:
    [12/01/12 23:10:14] - Running wine-1.5.18 Borderlands.exe (Working directory : /home/user/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Borderlands/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/2K Games/Gearbox Software/Borderlands GOTY Edifixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"UserAccess7" failed to start: 2
    fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_HANDLE_INFORMATION
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryObject Unsupported information class 3
    err:rpc:I_RpcGetBuffer no binding
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x39cab14,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x39ca694,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:file:K32EnumPageFilesA (0x2870320, 0x39a6a24) stub
    fixme:file:K32EnumPageFilesA (0x2870320, 0x3971340) stub
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x390b49c,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x390b01c,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x390b4a0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x390b020,0x00000000), stub!
    err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 156 bytes in thread 0009 eip 7bc73119 esp 03111294 stack 0x3110000-0x3111000-0x39e0000

Beans

It sounds like bad install media for some reason, I cannot find a sinlge other person with similar errors.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

I got past that by switching to a different No-DVD patch, but now the game crashes if I try to change the resolution from 640 x 480. I tried manually setting it in the willowengine.ini file, and now the resolution I set appears as that resolution in game, but the resolution is actually displaying at 640 x 480.

The crash it gives reports a file not found error pointing to the exe file in program files (x86) etc. etc.

here are my new logs:

Code:
    Running wine-1.3.26 Borderlands.exe (Working directory : /home/user/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Borderlands/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/2K Games/Gearbox Software/Borderlands GOTY Edifixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x3524000 0 0x29ffd90 4
    fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x181030, L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\2K Games\\Gearbox Software\\Borderlands GOTY Edition\\Binaries\\Borderlands.exe", 0x29ff4b4)
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x29fe1ac,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x29ff660,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 32 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
    fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
    fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
    fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 32 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
    fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x193418,0x18bb58): stub
    fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1979c0,0x197908): stub
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
    fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x34324644 (as fourcc: DF24) WINED3DFORMAT!
    fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x34324644) in the format lookup table
    fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
    fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
    fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.

Beans

Is this pirated? Or does this game NEED a no-cd patch?

Beans

The game is not pirated. It uses securom and needs a no-dvd patch.

I was able to resolve the low resolution problem by changing the wine script to 1.5.18, but the performance is now awful (seems to be a problem with my Bumblebee/Optimus). I've created a separate thread about that.

Beans

Smile Re: Can't install borderlands using POL or wine

Quote Originally Posted by jccantele49 View Post
    The game is not pirated. It uses securom and needs a no-dvd patch.

I was able to resolve the low resolution problem by changing the wine script to 1.5.18, but the performance is now awful (seems to be a problem with my Bumblebee/Optimus). I've created a separate thread about that.
    Use manjaro Linux, it takes care of that for you! (Arch)