Thread: Blank screen after new installation (12.10) (Intel N2600/GMA 3600)

Threaded View

Beans

Blank screen after new installation (12.10) (Intel N2600/GMA 3600)

Hi everyone, first time posting on a linux forum. I can usually figure things out with google but this one's got me stumped.

My friend has an eeePC 1011CX. The CPU is an N2600 with, I believe, a GMA 3600 video chipset. Previously Debian Squeeze was installed but I couldn't get it to change from 800x600 to the proper resolution of 1024x600. Google suggested it was because of a driver not in the Squeeze repos, so I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 over Debian.

I used unetbootin to put the installation media on a USB stick. I noticed the default boot setting gave a blank screen but when I chose the "Install Ubuntu" option the video worked correctly. Now, after installation, the video will not work - booting gives a blank screen.

I followed the blank screen sticky in this forum and was able to get into single user mode but everytime I do "service lightdm start" I get dumped back to a blank screen. I can't use ctrl+alt+f1 to get back into a console so I have no idea what the X logs say.

Any advice? Even just being able to view the X logs would give me a start in the right direction.

Edit: This was solved by adding the xorg-edgers ppa and then simply upgrading all the packages.
    Last edited by df606; December 3rd, 2012 at 07:58 AM.