Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble installing 12.10 64-bit on a RAID 0 configuration P8Z77-V PRO

Beans

Trouble installing 12.10 64-bit on a RAID 0 configuration P8Z77-V PRO

Hi everyone.

I have a ~1.9TB RAID 0 set up comprised of 3 640 GB HDs. I created a ~1.5 TB partition for Windows 7, which is running flawlessly, and was going to split the remaining space half and half with an Ubuntu and ArchLinux installation. Right now I'm trying to install Ubuntu and am having a very hard time doing so.

I created a bootable Ubuntu flash drive. The iso did match hashes with the expected hash value.

If I boot from the flash drive I get to the window that asks me if I want to try Ubuntu or install. Upon pressing install I then navigate to the "Installation type" window which shows absolutely no devices. At the bottom there's /dev/sda selected for "device for boot loader installation:" and if I press on the drop down that device is the only thing shown. If I press "Install now" I get an error and it then goes to a black screen.

Upon reboot I then press "Try now" and am able to get in the Ubuntu desktop. I downloaded gparted with the kparted add-on and when I open it it shows only my 3 HDs and the flashdrive, but no RAID. It says all 3 HDs have their full capacitance unallocated and doesn't detect any partitions. If I open Disks it shows one hard drive as having a partition but the other 3 are completely blank.

I then open Terminal and type the follow, which gives me the following:

$ sudo dmraid -tay
    >isw_djejjcdice_The Future: 0 3750769920 striped 3 256 /dev/sda 0 /dev/sdc 0
    $ sudo dmraid -ay
    >RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_The Future" active
    >ERROR: opening "/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The Future"

I then open gparted which gives me this error: "Could not stat device /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The Future - No such file or directory."

I then open Disks and it shows the RAID as "1.9 TB Block Device /dev/dm-0". It shows I have a 1.6 TB NTFS partition and 315 GB of free space.

I then hit Install Ubuntu 12.10, get to the "Installation type" screen and it shows 4 RAID set ups:
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The type=ntfs size=104 MB used=unknown
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The type=ntfs size=1605713 MB used=unknown
    -free space size=314574 MB
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future1
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future1 type=ntfs size=104 MB used=unknown
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future2 type=ntfs size=104 MB used=unknown
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future2 type=ntfs size=1605713 MB used=unknown
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future3
    -/dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future4

I then choose the Device for boot loader installation:
    /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_The\x20Future3 Linux device-mapper (linear) (314.6 GB)
    and press "Install Now"

Which gives me this:

"
    Sorry, Ubuntu 12.10 has experience an internal error.

If you notice further problems, try restarting the computer.

ExecutablePath
    /usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity
    Package
    ubiquity 2.12.16
    ProblemType
    Crash
    Title
    ubiquity crashed with KeyError in plugin_on_next_clicked(): 'use_device'
    Traceback
    ApportVersion
    2.6.1-0ubuntu3
    Architecture
    amd64
    Casper
    CasperVersion
    CrashCounter
    Date
    Sat Dec 1 23:36:45 2012
    Dependencies
    DistroRelease
    Ubuntu 12.10
    DuplicateOf
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/727842
    InstallCmdLine
    noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed
    boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz splash - maybe-ubiquity
    InterpreterParth
    /usr/bin/python3.2mu
    KnownReport
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/727842
    LiveMediaBuild
    "
    (I'm stopping it there because I don't want to type any more of it, if there's a part you want of it just let me know.)

What can I do?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by sdsdsd2; December 2nd, 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Trouble installing 12.10 64-bit on a RAID 0 configuration P8Z77-V PRO

1. You don't use the standard live cd to install on fakeraid. You use the Alternate Install CD (different ISO). It has better raid support to install the bootloader correctly. The live cd will fail installing the grub2 bootloader.

2. You seem to have named the array 'The Future'. It might look cute, but it's not a good idea to have spaces in the name. I don't know whether it could create issues in linux or not, but I wouldn't use it personally.

3. The grub2 location can't be a partition, like you tried to install it on partition #3. How do you plan to boot ubuntu if you put grub2 on a partition and not the MBR? Windows bootloader can't boot it.

4. Are you using UEFI boot or legacy boot? With uefi boot you have to be careful to install in uefi mode, not legacy.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    1. You don't use the standard live cd to install on fakeraid. You use the Alternate Install CD (different ISO). It has better raid support to install the bootloader correctly. The live cd will fail installing the grub2 bootloader.

2. You seem to have named the array 'The Future'. It might look cute, but it's not a good idea to have spaces in the name. I don't know whether it could create issues in linux or not, but I wouldn't use it personally.

3. The grub2 location can't be a partition, like you tried to install it on partition #3. How do you plan to boot ubuntu if you put grub2 on a partition and not the MBR? Windows bootloader can't boot it.

4. Are you using UEFI boot or legacy boot? With uefi boot you have to be careful to install in uefi mode, not legacy.
    Oh man, how I wish you were here about 12 hours ago!

1. It's funny, because as I read this I was staring at the "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda" error on my pc. Thank you! I had no idea.

2. I found out it had problems with that when I ran mdadm and it had some error about there being two RAIDs, so I opened the intel configuration thing and changed the name.

3. I'm a complete noob, as you can probably already tell, so thank you!

4. Not sure. I assume UEFI boot is how my BIOS looks when I go into it? If I try to load my flashdrive in UEFI mode it just stays in the BIOS and doesn't do anything... If you're talking about what it looks like when the "which OS would you like to boot into" screen is up, that's not UEFI (at least, I don't think it is). I need to scroll with the keyboard and the mouse isn't active.

Edit: I went to the alternate CD page and saw an alternate .iso for 12.04.1, but no alternate for 12.10 . I was trying to install 12.10 . Does that CD not exist and I have to use 12.04.1?
    Edit 2: So apparently they dropped support for the alternate 12.10 CD? So how am I supposed to install Ubuntu on a RAID for 12.10 then?...
    Edit 3: So, from what I'm reading, I can install the alternate CD for 12.04.1 and then update it to 12.10 . Here's the link to a .torrent of the alternate amd64 12.04.1 .iso for anyone reading this: releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.1-alternate-amd64.iso.torrent
    Last edited by sdsdsd2; December 2nd, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hm, I didn't know there is no ISO for 12.10. I use LTS releases so I haven't looked into 12.10.

Well, one option is to do the install using the desktop cd. After installation ubuntu will not be able to be booted. You can use the cd and load the live session, and add grub to the MBR of the array.

The only thing I am not sure is whether only grub2 will not be installed on the MBR of the array, or also the grub2 packages and config won't be instaleld. If the package and config is missing, you need a bit longer procedure to add it later, but that an be done too. So, the difference is between running only two commands to add grub2 to the MBR, or 10-15 commands to add grub2 completely.

UEFI is the new type of booting, but it still gives issues especially in dual boot, since it's oriented more towards Microsoft and making it more difficult to install dual boot with linux.

If you already have an existing ubuntu installation without the bootloader, you don't need to reinstall and can try to add grub2. In that case, boot the cd in live session, activate the array with dmraid (just in case it's not active), and post the parted output:
    Code:
    sudo dmraid -ay
    sudo parted -l (small L)
    That will give us few details to try adding grub2.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Hm, I didn't know there is no ISO for 12.10. I use LTS releases so I haven't looked into 12.10.

Well, one option is to do the install using the desktop cd. After installation ubuntu will not be able to be booted. You can use the cd and load the live session, and add grub to the MBR of the array.

The only thing I am not sure is whether only grub2 will not be installed on the MBR of the array, or also the grub2 packages and config won't be instaleld. If the package and config is missing, you need a bit longer procedure to add it later, but that an be done too. So, the difference is between running only two commands to add grub2 to the MBR, or 10-15 commands to add grub2 completely.

UEFI is the new type of booting, but it still gives issues especially in dual boot, since it's oriented more towards Microsoft and making it more difficult to install dual boot with linux.

If you already have an existing ubuntu installation without the bootloader, you don't need to reinstall and can try to add grub2. In that case, boot the cd in live session, activate the array with dmraid (just in case it's not active), and post the parted output:
    Code:
    sudo dmraid -ay
    sudo parted -l (small L)
    That will give us few details to try adding grub2.
    So, before I read this I tried to install the alternate 12.04.1 amd 64 iso by setting the windows MBR as the boot directory for Ubuntu... little did I know it would actually overwrite the windows MBR, not add Ubuntu to that. x.x The alternate iso didn't work any better by the way, it still failed to install GRUB and failed to do everything the non-alternate disks failed to do.

Anyway, I checked my BIOS settings and actually found that my mobo has an option to support both UEFI and legacy boots at the same time, so I turned that on.

I remade a 12.10 flash drive and somehow got into the UEFI mode of the ubuntu on that flash drive. I followed this guide: http://www.iceflatline.com/2009/09/h...using-bcdedit/ It installed great, no errors whatsoever (first time that ever happened). However, the Ubuntu selection isn't working in the boot menu (it just shows a blinking white underscore).

Here's the information you requested:

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# dmraid -ay
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture1" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture2" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture5" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture6" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture7" already active
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# sudo parted -l
    Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!

Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label

Error: /dev/sdc: unrecognised disk label

Model: USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdd: 4041MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 65.5kB 4041MB 4041MB primary fat32 boot, lba

Error: Invalid partition table on /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture3 -- wrong
    signature ffff.
    Ignore/Cancel? i
    Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture3: 168GB

1 1024B 10.5GB 10.5GB primary fat32
    2 44.0GB 168GB 124GB extended
    5 44.0GB 168GB 124GB logical ext4

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture6: 124GB
    Partition Table: loop

Number Start End Size File system Flags
    1 0.00B 124GB 124GB ext4

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture5: 10.5GB

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture7: 33.6GB

1 0.00B 33.6GB 33.6GB linux-swap(v1)

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture2: 1606GB

1 0.00B 1606GB 1606GB ntfs

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture1: 105MB

1 0.00B 105MB 105MB ntfs

Model: Linux device-mapper (striped) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture: 1920GB

1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
    2 106MB 1606GB 1606GB primary ntfs
    3 1606GB 1774GB 168GB extended
    5 1606GB 1616GB 10.5GB logical fat32
    7 1616GB 1650GB 33.6GB logical linux-swap(v1)
    6 1650GB 1774GB 124GB logical ext4

Beans
    Distro

You shouldn't have enabled uefi. I said to investigate whether you are using it or not, so that you know in which mode to install ubuntu. But if you are not using it (and from parted results you are not), you can't simpy enable it and start using it because then windows won't work. Once windows is installed, you can't change the boot type.

Go back into bios and disable the uefi setting, or set it to BIOS boot only, if that's how it's called.

After that you will need to reinstall ubuntu since now you installed it in uefi mode according to what you say. I am not sure if it will work without reinstalling since in uefi it would install the uefi version of grub.

In general, you can see at the bottom of the parted results that your ubuntu root is partition #6. So, to add grub2 to the MBR of the array from live session (note that you might need to reinstall ubuntu in bios mode before this as explained above), you would do:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/isw_blahblah_thefuture6 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/mapper/isw_blahblah_thefuture
    That will install it onto the MBR of the array, that's why the second command doesn't have the 6 at end of the array name.

Now, this is the shorter procedure and note that it might not work 100% if the grub package is not installed. If this doesn't work, you will need to boot into live session again and do the longer procedure.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

You shouldn't have enabled uefi. I said to investigate whether you are using it or not, so that you know in which mode to install ubuntu. But if you are not using it (and from parted results you are not), you can't simpy enable it and start using it because then windows won't work. Once windows is installed, you can't change the boot type.

Go back into bios and disable the uefi setting, or set it to BIOS boot only, if that's how it's called.

After that you will need to reinstall ubuntu since now you installed it in uefi mode according to what you say. I am not sure if it will work without reinstalling since in uefi it would install the uefi version of grub.

In general, you can see at the bottom of the parted results that your ubuntu root is partition #6. So, to add grub2 to the MBR of the array from live session (note that you might need to reinstall ubuntu in bios mode before this as explained above), you would do:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/isw_blahblah_thefuture6 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/mapper/isw_blahblah_thefuture
    That will install it onto the MBR of the array, that's why the second command doesn't have the 6 at end of the array name.

Now, this is the shorter procedure and note that it might not work 100% if the grub package is not installed. If this doesn't work, you will need to boot into live session again and do the longer procedure.
    So, because my BIOS's option was both UEFI and legacy boot I went ahead and tried to add it to the MBR with the commands above, assuming there might be some option like "switch to legacy/uefi boot" at the boot menu. Upon rebooting, it went into the GRUB uefi with no option of starting windows, only of starting Ubuntu. However, when I tried to start Ubuntu it would go to the black screen with the blinking white underscore and after about 30 seconds would give me an error message saying, essentially, that it had given up trying to find some files. I went ahead and remade a windows recovery usb drive and fixed the mbr so I could get back into windows. Looking back at it, I probably could've gone into the BIOS and changed some settings since my BIOS does have settings along the lines of "boot both uefi and legacy, but uefi/legacy first" and likely could've just switched that without writing over the mbr.

I've disabled all mentions of uefi boot in my BIOS and am in the process of recreating the 12.10 Ubuntu flash drive.

Edit 1: The Ubuntu installer failed at the "Running 'grub-install /dev/sda'..." step with error message:
    "
    Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
    Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.

This is a fatal error.
    "
    Other than that, the installation went well.

I then reran the commands you had posted, which reported they completed successfully with no errors.

Upon rebooting, I am brought to the GNU GRUB terminal with no prior menu of selecting Windows or Ubuntu.
    Last edited by sdsdsd2; December 3rd, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Post the parted results again so see the current setup. After that we will try to completely reinstall grub2.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Post the parted results again so see the current setup. After that we will try to completely reinstall grub2.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo su
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# dmraid -ay
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture1" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture2" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture5" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture6" already active
    RAID set "isw_djejjcdice_thefuture7" already active
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# parted -l
    Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!

Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label

Error: /dev/sdc: unrecognised disk label

Model: USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdd: 4041MB

1 65.5kB 4041MB 4041MB primary fat32 boot, lba

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture2: 1606GB

1 0.00B 1606GB 1606GB ntfs

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture7: 124GB

1 0.00B 124GB 124GB ext4

Error: Invalid partition table on /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture3 -- wrong
    signature ffff.
    Ignore/Cancel? i
    Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture3: 168GB

1 1024B 10.5GB 10.5GB primary fat32
    2 10.5GB 44.0GB 33.6GB extended
    5 10.5GB 44.0GB 33.6GB logical linux-swap(v1)

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture5: 10.5GB

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture6: 33.6GB

1 0.00B 33.6GB 33.6GB linux-swap(v1)

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture1: 105MB

1 0.00B 105MB 105MB ntfs

Model: Linux device-mapper (striped) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djejjcdice_thefuture: 1920GB

1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
    2 106MB 1606GB 1606GB primary ntfs
    3 1606GB 1774GB 168GB extended
    5 1606GB 1616GB 10.5GB logical fat32
    6 1616GB 1650GB 33.6GB logical linux-swap(v1)
    7 1650GB 1774GB 124GB logical ext4

Beans
    Distro

OK, so the root partition is #7. Lets use chroot to enter the installation from the live session:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/isw_blahblah_thefuture7 /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo chroot /mnt
    Now you are like inside the installation. Lets completely remove grub2, install it again, create the config files and install it onto the MBR of the array:
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge grub-pc grub-common
    apt-get install grub-pc
    grub-mkconfig
    update-grub
    grub-install /dev/mapper/isw_blahblah_thefuture
    Exit the chroot and unmount everything:
    Code:
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt
    Reboot without the cd and with little bit of luck, you should see a functioning grub menu. Try to boot both OSs to see if they work.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast