Thread: Java - need help

Beans

Java - need help

Hi all,

I am trying to start a german application, written under java called "Zettelkasten" (slipbox).

When I try to start is with

Code:
    java -jar Zettelkasten.jar
    I get the following error message:

SEVERE: Application class de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenApp failed to launch
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.database.Bookmarks. getBookmarkPosition(Bookmarks.java:778)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.up dateToolbarAndMenu(ZettelkastenView.java:2845)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.up dateDisplay(ZettelkastenView.java:2613)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.up dateAfterOpen(ZettelkastenView.java:10249)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.lo adDocument(ZettelkastenView.java:8703)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.<i nit>(ZettelkastenView.java:635)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenApp.sta rtup(ZettelkastenApp.java:131)
    at org.jdesktop.application.Application$1.run(Applica tion.java:171)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPri vilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.Error: Application class de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenApp failed to launch
    at org.jdesktop.application.Application$1.run(Applica tion.java:177)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPri vilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.database.Bookmarks. getBookmarkPosition(Bookmarks.java:778)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.up dateToolbarAndMenu(ZettelkastenView.java:2845)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.up dateDisplay(ZettelkastenView.java:2613)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.up dateAfterOpen(ZettelkastenView.java:10249)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.lo adDocument(ZettelkastenView.java:8703)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenView.<i nit>(ZettelkastenView.java:635)
    at de.danielluedecke.zettelkasten.ZettelkastenApp.sta rtup(ZettelkastenApp.java:131)
    at org.jdesktop.application.Application$1.run(Applica tion.java:171)
    ... 14 more
    Can anyone give me a helping hand?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Java - need help

It looks like this Ubuntuforum is not the place for Java problems.

Does anyone know a Java support forum?

Thanks again!

Beans

Well, follow the code. It's telling you that there is a NullPointerException and I used to know Java before our class switched to C but I used to get that error all the time.

I do believe it comes from the variable (the pointer) not being initialized. So if you look at the method call, getBookmarkPosition, you'll see the variable it's attempting to use and I think if you follow that tree all the way down you'll find the code that initializes that variable.

It's either that or the variable is pointing at a Null value and you're trying to do something with nothing which as we all know is impossible.

I could be wrong but that's just my 2 cents. As always, take caution when listening to strangers on the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Click the "Report Abuse" button and ask the staff to move the thread to the "Programming Talk" subforum.

The "Report Abuse" button can be used for constructive purposes, too.

Also, don't assume that just because you don't get an instant answer that you aren't going to get help here. Remember that this is a volunteer forum, we help as we have time and we live all around the world. The person with the perfect answer may live in Bangalore and the question may come from Des Moines. There is quite a time zone difference and the guy in Bangalore also has a job, eats dinner and spends time with his kids.

Give it some time. Bump if you don't hear back in 24 hours. But don't bump sooner or everyone gets pushed down.

I'm sure you'll get help!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I would guess, by looking at that trace, that this is an issue with the application rather than with you. Maybe it requires other files with it to work? Such as a database of bookmarks perhaps?
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans

First of all:

Thanks for all your replies and sorry for my late reply!

I have been travelling and just returned home.

Like QIII says: we live all around the globe and connect to this forum at different times.

QIII now one question: I am not able to find a "report abuse" procedure. Can you give me a helping hand?

Again thanks to all for your help!