Thread: Blank screen after login in 12.04, possibly related to Thunderbird

Beans

Blank screen after login in 12.04, possibly related to Thunderbird

I've hit an issue that's been hard to troubleshoot. I've googled around a bit and searched the forums, but no luck so far.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. This morning I started using Thunderbird for the first time (previously relying on internet mail). I created an account and the first thing I tried to do was search for a Lightning add-on. Thunderbird crashed in the process, and my computer froze. I couldn't get it to recover and ended up using CTR+ALT+SysRq+REISUB to gently reboot.

However the next time I tried to log in, as soon as I got past the login screen, I only saw a blank bright blue screen with my Cinnamon bar along the bottom, and my mouse. I could interact with the bar but start nothing. When I tried to start a terminal, nothing happened. When I tried to start Firefox, after a few seconds a crash report would pop up. Nothing else seemed to have any effect.

I restarted a few times, and shut down, waited, and booted a few times. The result is always the same, although every once in a while, the screen following login is black with nothing else, or just my regular desktop picture with nothing else.

I (fortunately) have another account on this computer, which I can log into just fine (I'm using it now). It's only when I log into my usual account that it appears to freeze in this strange way.

Any thoughts? I've spent a bit of time looking around for this happening elsewhere, but not much luck (many "blank screen" problems, but they all seem different than what I am experiencing, since my second account is working fine).

*Edit: If there is a better place to post this, please let me know!
    Last edited by NateP; December 1st, 2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Quick additional note.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Blank screen after login in 12.04, possibly related to Thunderbird

it does sound creepy.

you can try this: exit thunderbird and firefox.
    rename your ~/.mozilla and/or .thunderbird or .firefox folders. (as backup)
    uninstall thunderbird and firefox.
    log out/in-->better???
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar