Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Not to Defend Windows or Anything...

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    +1, not merely for the slow down, but for the annoyance. If they aren't set to auto-check at boot then they auto-check when I start them. I almost go red in the face every time I boot into windows flash pops up telling me to update it, java pops up, telling me to update it, then I start firefox up, and it tells me to update, then windows update pops up, then firefox wants to update all of my add-ons, I just.get.so.annoyed.why.can't.there.be.a.repositor y.like.system.in.windows.
    But windows update is by far the worst as it restarts your computer or endlessly nagging you to. One time at work my colleague has to go to the washroom, since it was an emergency he forgot to save what he was doing, when he came back windows has restarted.. Another time I was talking to a friend on google talk and suddenly she went offline, she came back 5 minutes later telling me that Win7 has rebooted because of some updates. She didn't see the warning popup because she was talking to me on fullscreen.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 1st, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    But windows update is by far the worst as it restarts your computer or endlessly nagging you to. One time at work my colleague has to go to the washroom, since it was an emergency he forgot to save what he was doing, when he came back windows has restarted.. Another time I was talking to a friend on google talk and suddenly she went offline, she came back 5 minutes later telling me that Win7 has rebooted because of some updates. She didn't see the warning popup because she was talking to me on fullscreen.
    his fault for not saving work, and both their fault for not configuring there updates behaviour if it is a work machine there should be a WSUS infrastructure in place anyways.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    his fault for not saving work, and both their fault for not configuring there updates behaviour if it is a work machine there should be a WSUS infrastructure in place anyways.
    He can't configure update behaviour because he needs admin, and how is that his fault for not saving work when he got a sudden food poisoning and has to throw up? In my friend's case Windows is supposed to keep nagging her to restart with a popup but the popup doesn't show and it decides just to reboot automatically. Besides, most Windows users don't know how to configure Windows beyond changing wall paper.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 1st, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Beans

Windows update runs when I want it to run and restarts when I want it to restart and does not nag.

User error.
    This account is not active.

Beans

He can't configure update behaviour because he needs admin, and how is that his fault for not saving work when he got a sudden food poisoning and has to throw up? In my friend's case Windows is supposed to keep nagging her to restart with a popup but the popup doesn't show and it decides just to reboot automatically. Besides, most Windows users don't know how to configure Windows beyond changing wall paper.
    doing work that has not been saved and auto save enabled.....
    user error
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; December 1st, 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    doing a work that has not been saved and auto save enabled.....
    user error
    +1

I weep for existance, there is nothing wrong with windows or linux or OSX they are tools, you can blame them if you like or get your work done ! Either way learn how to use your tools.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Windows update runs when I want it to run and restarts when I want it to restart and does not nag.

User error.
    User error because Windows *Defaults* to rebooting your machine for you if you don't answer it's pop up after so long?

One guys user error is another guys Microsoft picked a stupid default error.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I could not agree more with these posts. I've got a netbook with win7 installed that I open once every 2 or 3 days for running softwares that are not ported on Ubuntu. Each time I open it, I need close to 5 min to get through all the updates for java, acrobat etc and the occasional pop-up asking me to restart the PC if there was system updates. I did not realise how unbearable that is until I installed Ubuntu on my notebook.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samsom63 View Post
    I could not agree more with these posts. I've got a netbook with win7 installed that I open once every 2 or 3 days for running softwares that are not ported on Ubuntu. Each time I open it, I need close to 5 min to get through all the updates for java, acrobat etc and the occasional pop-up asking me to restart the PC if there was system updates. I did not realise how unbearable that is until I installed Ubuntu on my notebook.
    MSFT only updates every second Tuesday.Adobe updates etc are nothing to do with MSFT.I dismiss any non urgent updates from third parties and install them once a month.

Beans
    Hidden!

MSFT only updates every second Tuesday.Adobe updates etc are nothing to do with MSFT.I dismiss any non urgent updates from third parties and install them once a month.
    or when , at least read what the update is about , 1 byte of no security change ain't worth typing OK , if it be working in the first place. If it be 1 GB , take fright.
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast