Thread: Reboot and select proper boot device.

Beans

Reboot and select proper boot device.

Hi folks,
    Let me start by saying that although I'm a newbie to this forum I'm not a Ubuntu newbie, having used it since intrepid Ibex. I've never posted before because let's face Ubuntu/Linux "just works".
    This will take a while to explain so please bear with me. I've been forced by work to install win doze 7 on my pc at home (I know - the man is in fact a bitch). The only way I could get Ubuntu 12.04 and win 7 to co-exist within the project timeframe required was to install Ubuntu as a Wubi inside Win7. What can I say? My Gparted skills were not up to it.

So far it has been ok till last night when I switched on to face "Reboot and select a proper boot device"

Figuring it's a win boot problem I've tried to use the original (full retail - provided by work) version of windoze on DVD. I cannot recover the win 7 install thru the repair windows option because "the version of windows is not the same." Huh? Not the same? It is the same damn DVD on the same damn pc.

I don't care about the windows data. It's all work related, the project is done, anything else is either backed up on the works server, is with the client or simply doesn't matter. I want my Ubuntu data!!!

I've tried Gparted Live, Ubuntu Live, as mentioned win repair, but nothing seems to recover my Ubuntu boot. I guess I need to boot live and use ecryptfs etc to recover my data, but I don't seem to be able to see the drive that my home directory is on.

I've been at this for a while now, with probably, if I'm honest too much wine...

If anyone cane help please do.

All the best
    Nigel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Reboot and select proper boot device.

If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Re: Reboot and select proper boot device.

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Most of my data is backed up, thanks for the interest there! I've just come back from holiday and movies and photos were copied across just before this problem occurred.