Thread: KDE crashes when resizing terminal on AMD GPU

Beans

KDE crashes when resizing terminal on AMD GPU

Hi

I'm using Kubuntu 12.10 and having problems with the terminal. Sometimes when I resize a window with a terminal in it (tried Konsole, xterm, and terminator) I get kicked out of KDE and has to log in again. All running applications are of course killed as well.

I've seen quite a few other threads about this particular problem, but the consensus appears to be that NVIDIA drivers are to blame and I have a AMD GPU.

Anyone else with a AMD GPU experiencing the same problems? What can I do to fix it?

System:
    Kubuntu 12.10
    AMD 5800k APU (AMD Radeon HD 7660D)
    MSI FM2-A85XA-G65

ccc says:
    Driver Packaging Version 9.00.11-120920a-147436C-ATI
    2D Driver Version 9.0.2
    Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2.17
    RandR Version 1.3

Beans

Re: KDE crashes when resizing terminal on AMD GPU

Perhaps related, I have a setup with three monitors and if I turn off the one in the middle and then turn it on again, then the other two monitors flash for a second (like if going into sleep mode and then immediately woken again) and then I'm kicked back to the login screen again. The monitor in question is connected via DisplayPort.

Beans

I also have this problem, it happens to me frequently, causing me to lose all work since the last save. It's incredibly frustrating.

Beans

I'll leave this for searchers.

It is definitely on the radeon drivers. This shows up when I use the current drivers from AMD. It goes away when I'm on the open source ones.

I'm currently on the development kubuntu 13.04 using 13.3 drivers from AMD. I have previously seen this on 12.10 with earlier drivers.

The behavior has now shown up on two different radeon's. A 7750 and what I think is a 6450 (I had to drop down a grade when I needed a new slot for USB 3) where in each case I have started from no drivers, gone to open source , then eventually back to the open source drivers (which I'm just about to do now).

Updated: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/f...pps-for-ubuntu
    Terminator does the konsole replacement job quite nicely without crashing like all of the standard consoles are doing. I left Yakuake running as well for those quick commands like looking at logs. The others didn't look industrial strength.

Looking through the bug reports, this appears to be a regression problem down in the recent Xorg 1.13 used in ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04. It may take some time to get resolved.
    Last edited by lprent; April 19th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.