Thread: Gparted to delete windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gparted to delete windows

Can I simply re-format to ext4, the partition containing Windows with gparted to delete this horrible thing taking up space on my computer? Thanks in advance!
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Gparted to delete windows

Well, you can use GParted to modify you partitions, it is a great software, I use it every time, but Disk Utility is also great now.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    Can I simply re-format to ext4, the partition containing Windows with gparted to delete this horrible thing taking up space on my computer? Thanks in advance!
    GParted has a LiveCD version you can download to just delete the partition altogether, and then stretch your Ubuntu partition up to fill the rest of the space. As always I would recommend backing up anything you like as a "just in case" measure. The reason I mention the LiveCD version is because I don't believe you'd be able to resize your Ubuntu partition while it was mounted and in use, so you'd have to do it from a LiveCD.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!

i would say the answer is a simple yes.

but the other answers aren't wrong.

stretching an existing partition with ubuntu on it over your whole hard drive might be possible but definitely takes some time and potential risk.
    but why not just use the extra partition as it is? it's fairly easy to add it to your fstab so it gets mounted automatically.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Distro

Thank you all for your responses! I will try the live CD for gparted as that seems easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by ohnonot View Post
    i would say the answer is a simple yes.

but the other answers aren't wrong.

stretching an existing partition with ubuntu on it over your whole hard drive might be possible but definitely takes some time and potential risk.
    but why not just use the extra partition as it is? it's fairly easy to add it to your fstab so it gets mounted automatically.
    You mean keep it NTFS? for what purpose....or do you mean just have it as a separate partition formated ext4? Can you explain more what you mean and just how to add it to fstab? Thanx again!
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    Thank you all for your responses! I will try the live CD for gparted as that seems easiest.
    You mean keep it NTFS? for what purpose....or do you mean just have it as a separate partition formated ext4? Can you explain more what you mean and just how to add it to fstab? Thanx again!
    erm, just let me get this clear:
    you have a computer with both linux and windows on different partitions and now you want to get rid of the one containing windows?
    in that case you don't need a livecd.
    just fire up gparted, select your hard drive in question in the top right corner, identify the windows partition, highlight it and choose partition->delete.
    apply changes.
    then highlight the free space, choose partition->new and create ext4 partition or whatever you prefer. which you can then use for movies or pictures of dubitable nature or what. apply changes.

[edit: forgot the fstab thing. you can see the uuid from gparted and add it to fstab with a mount point of your choice and default settings]

you're done with windows now, congratulations!
    Last edited by ohnonot; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Distro

Right on all accounts and right on for the solution! I was just needing verification that's all I need do. Trashing that piece of bad code now. Thank you & Cheers!