Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Problem with new Google Chrome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Strange Problem with new Google Chrome

I got the update today (in update manager) for the new version of Google Chrome
    (20.1132.43-r1438) ...

In all the prior versions of Google Chrome (running on my ubunto 12.04) everything was fine...

On this new version, there seems to be major flash related problems....
    On streaming radio stations, they are having trouble "buffering"...at the same time, i hear weird "gibberish" sounds...

And on some of these stream tuners the station wil not come in at all..On other stream tuners, the station will come in, but every few minutes it starts to buffer and the gibberish sounds comes back for a minute or two and then the station comes back in...

Going over to you tube videos, some are playing very speeded up....

I'm assuming this must be a bug in the new Chrome version 20..

Is anyone experiencing this with version 20?
    Anyone know if it is a known bug? and is there any resolution for this?
    (other then waiting for a possible fix)...

It's very strange behavior...and i have never had this before until this version was installed today...

All feedback appreciated
    Last edited by craig10x; June 28th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Strange Problem with new Google Chrome

It may be because of Pepper, no seriously lol, My Chrome Browser stopped working altogether after the update today, and I have reinstalled several times will Not even start up.
    I even purged it and installed beta version etc. and i had some neat plugins, oh well.

The bad part is that I was using Chrome's flash player in Firefox ( with the script from Flash-aid plugin)
    The first thing I noticed was when a friend sent me a video in my gmail that the flash was dead in Firefox so
    I went to try it in Chrome and Chrome would not even start, I had not tried it since the update earlier today.
    That was the Only way I have had Any flash to work on Firefox since I Installed 11.10 after Maverick became unsupported.
    Now I Have NO Flash at all, period! and I am a musician...
    (I have Firefox 14.0)
    I don't want to go back to Windows! I have been on Linux 7 years now,
    and html5 isn't quite there yet, or rather isn't implemented widely enough at any rate.

In your Chrome directory (since todays update) you should see a directory named PepperFlash, in it is a file named libpepflashplayer.so
    Or it is on my system and mine is in:

opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash

I am not sure what Adobe expects the rest of us to do, without I suppose .
    Flash has been broken for quite some time for me as far as the flash-plugin from Adobe goes anyway, and Gnash or Lightspark won't work for me form the things i need to do with music, videos, etc.
    I Was using Chrome's flash player for Firefox also until this.

Here is more info on Adobe's blog about Adobe partnering with Google,
    and "Pepper", their new flash player, (apparently).

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...-on-linux.html

An excerpt:
    code-named “Pepper” aims to provide a layer between the plugin and browser that abstracts away differences between browser and operating system implementations.

Adobe has been able to partner with Google in providing a “Pepper” implementation of Flash Player for all x86/64 platforms supported by the Google Chrome browser. Google will begin distributing this new Pepper-based Flash Player as part of Chrome on all platforms, including Linux, later this year.
    For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plugin for Linux will only be available via the “Pepper” API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe. Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release.

Last edited by Stanwilliamsmusic; June 28th, 2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typographical errors

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's working for me with the usual stuff ... Google Docs, YouTube (but because of my slow net speed, I have to let the video go to the end and then hit replay). I don't know anything about streaming radio and why it would need Flash.
    I've kept only the Pepper Flash enabled. I disabled the other one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I figured something happened in this update that was causing it....
    Yes, streaming radio is actually flash driven, so it would be affected by this...
    So, it has something to do with this new "pepper" thing (lol)?

Would love to know what to do to correct it, i really love using Chrome....
    For the moment, i re-installed chromium (from the ubuntu software center) and that works fine because it is version 18 from awhile ago...

How about that google chrome beta? does that work properly?
    Also, anyone who have any ideas what to do with this new pepper business...
    please enlighten me
    Last edited by craig10x; June 28th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Update: based on the info you guys provided me, i tried two experiments...
    I went to the plug ins and:

1) disabled the regular shockwave flash and just left Pepper enabled...
    Same weird problems

2) then i re-enabled the regular shockwave flash and DISABLED the new Pepper flash and guess what? PROBLEM TOTALLY GONE!

Soooo...looks like it's problems with the new Pepper Flash which was added apparently, as of this new version 20....

I hope they get that Pepper Flash fixed eventually, meanwhile at least i got things working normal again...thank goodness...

Are they going to continue having both in there (shockwave regular flash and the new pepper)...i hope so (unless they get pepper working properly)...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stanwilliamsmusic View Post
    ... My Chrome Browser stopped working altogether after the update today, and I have reinstalled several times will Not even start up.
    FWIW, https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=134940

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another update: this morning (just for an experiment) i re-enabled pepper and now the streams and videos are playing fine (so i have both plug ins on as they were originally set up on here)...

However, either way (pepper on or off) i have noticed (on my psensor temperature monitor) that temps are running much higher with chrome browser open and even more when i put the stream radio on)...

And others here have mentioned having other problems with it...so seems like this new version has quite a few bugs in it...

Hope they get this straightened out shortly and send down an updated version with fixes...

PS: pepper flash plug started to act up again so i shut it off...so using ubuntu's flash instead solves it for me for now...and cpu temps seem to be more normal now...
    I guess this new "pepper flash" has some kinks that still need to be smoothed out!
    Last edited by craig10x; June 28th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Another update: this morning (just for an experiment) i re-enabled pepper and now the streams and videos are playing fine (so i have both plug ins on as they were originally set up on here)...
    So your problem went away by itself?
    Also wanted to ask ... do you have any of the about:flags switches enabled? Some of them may cause problems.
    Last edited by vasa1; June 28th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    So your problem went away by itself?
    Also wanted to ask ... do you have any of the about:flags switches enabled? Some of them may cause problems.
    I'll check that...
    Well, i did re-enable "pepper" for a while but it started to act up again, so i ended up disabling it again...so, that way i am actually running off the adobe flash that was installed in the ubuntu restricted extras package...not the chrome built in "pepper" plug in...

I think i will leave it disabled until an updated version properly fixes it...

Running with my native adobe flash, i am not having any problems at all...both streaming radio and you tube videos are now functioning normal...

Oh...i checked the "flags" thing....sounds dangerous...don't think i will mess with those! (lol)...
    Pepper has been reported by Chrome developers as having various "issues" so no doubt that is causing a lot of these problems..i will use my "temporary fix" until they get it smoothed out...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 28th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Beans

I too am having the same problem with streaming and youtube. I have tried to fix by disabling the plug-ins but to no avail.I am having the problem with Google Chrome and Firefox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast