Thread: Half Screen

Beans

Half Screen

Hello all, this is my first time installing Ubuntu and second time installing Linux so I am pretty much a total newb, forgive my newby-ness.

One of my friends recently gave me his old PowerPC G5. I have been trying unsuccessfully for about three days now to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on it.
    I have reformatted it and managed to work out most of the bugs in it but there is one I cannot seem to fix, and that is the screen: when I start the machine, it gets to yaboot then the monitor displays "Input out of range" before I can even see the Ubuntu Logo (As soon as I should start seeing things.)

I have done some research and found out display problems are pretty common with the G5. I then was lead to try typing in
    "Linux video=TV-1:d" in the yaboot prompt. When I did I was pleased to see everything was normal except one thing, about one half of the screen is not being displayed!!! Does anybody know some commands I could type in to fix this?

Computer Exact Specs:

Dual liquid cooled 2.3 GHz PowerPC 970FX G5s
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
    2.5 Gigabytes of PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    250 Gigabyte 7200 RPM harddrive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Half Screen

There is a very nice documentation/FAQ on PPC available here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

Beans

Thank you 2F4U for the quick reply, I looked on those for a little bit and it said enter to enter on yaboot:"Linux video=ofonly"

This worked however I am still only getting half a screen.

Beans

Also after entering:"Linux nouveau.modeset=0" I got into the Ubuntu but everything was weird colored and ultra low res...

Beans

UPDATE: entering "Linux video=ofonly" made it work (with half a screen) as well, I changed the conf.org file so I don't have to type it every time and 800x600 res works but is too small can someone please help?