Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pondering the future of the Gnome classic session beyond Ubuntu Precise

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Pondering the future of the Gnome classic session beyond Ubuntu Precise

Did I read correctly? "Upgrading from previous versions won't work to 13.10 (and probably not to 14.04)."

Do you know if keeping /home (as a separate partition) with a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome will work, or is it necessary to make completely fresh install? And what kind of hardware (how old hardware) can run Ubuntu Gnome reasonably well? I'm thinking of speed as well as hardware drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Did I read correctly? "Upgrading from previous versions won't work to 13.10 (and probably not to 14.04)."

Do you know if keeping /home (as a separate partition) with a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome will work, or is it necessary to make completely fresh install? And what kind of hardware (how old hardware) can run Ubuntu Gnome reasonably well? I'm thinking of speed as well as hardware drivers.
    I do not have a definitive answer regarding Ubuntu GNOME + fallback/flashback

I just sort of figured out that gdm is not playing well with flashback in Saucy:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...m/+bug/1245209

But during Saucy dev I did test both the standard upgrade path and the upgrade (image) path successfully with the default 'gnome-shell' DE and it was fine.

IMHO, whether we're talking about Ubuntu or any other flavor, one of the first things that must be mentioned is the change to a 9 month release cycle for the interim releases.

But that really does get off topic doesn't it?

Beans

BTW where did you read that?

Beans
    Hidden!

at http://askubuntu.com/questions/58172.../284155#284155 but I may have misunderstood it.

Can you add instructions how people can install the desktop on their existing computers? This makes it sound like you need to reinstall a new ISO to use GNOME Classic. – Jorge Castro Apr 22 at 13:46

It does not sound like it... it is a new ISO install Rinzwind Apr 22 at 13:47

Ok so what about people with upgrades and who don't want to reinstall? Does the 12.04 and newer answers still work? – Jorge Castro Apr 22 at 13:59

13.04 & UP ? Fallback session will be removed in 13.10 (because of its gnome-settings-daemon dependency). On 13.04 anyone can install by running sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback. – Khurshid Alam Apr 27 at 12:19

I installed Ubuntu Gnome yesterday. I like it but it is nothing like the "Gnome Classic" desktop. – Warren Hill Apr 28 at 13:11

Beans

at http://askubuntu.com/questions/58172.../284155#284155 but I may have misunderstood it.
    Ah, yes ........... but remember I said, "But it kind of stalled here":

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12843629

Since I'd paid little attention to this session other than the renaming of the "classic" session since Precise I've missed a lot of stuff. Like I just discovered that 'gnome-tweak-tool' changed it's dependencies and then 'gnome-shell-common' changed it's dependencies so installing GNOME's own tweak tool is now safe and sensible in a fully updated Quantal as well as Saucy and Trusty.

Purely opinion, but the GNOME devs were kind of jerks for not just naming the new "gnome-shell-classic" session something different like "legacy" since we were already using "classic"

Don't get me wrong, I like GNOME, but sometimes they seem very heavy handed in their approach

But as I look at this in Saucy and Trusty (so far) writing a guide for Trusty 'flashback' should actually be easier than it was in Precise.

Of course we have to wait for vUDS to be sure nothing substantial changes
    Last edited by kansasnoob; November 11th, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

Beans

Just to clarify, this was FUD:

13.04 & UP ? Fallback session will be removed in 13.10 (because of its gnome-settings-daemon dependency). On 13.04 anyone can install by running sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback. – Khurshid Alam Apr 27 at 12:19

Beans
    Hidden!

So, you will probably be able to make a nice tutorial to tweak gnome in a similar way as in Precise

I'll be around and make 'easy to use systems', that can be installed with the One Button Installer and use Fake-PAE, when you have it ready for Trusty.

Beans

So, you will probably be able to make a nice tutorial to tweak gnome in a similar way as in Precise

I'll be around and make 'easy to use systems', that can be installed with the One Button Installer and use Fake-PAE, when you have it ready for Trusty.
    No guarantees. I was shocked when they dropped Unity-2D after Precise

Until the first Trusty vUDS we actually know less than nothing, but I've heard nothing from Edubuntu dev to indicate they'd drop the flashback session.

Beans

I've just been trying to wrap my mind around the deprecation of 'gconf' in favor of 'dconf' so I need to post these sreenshots.

You can see there was some duplication of wm settings in Quantal:

quantal_button_layout.jpg

quantal_wm_theme.jpg

But that duplication was fixed in Raring:

raring_button_layout.jpg

raring_wm_theme.jpg

I believe that deprecation of gconf is nearly complete in Saucy but I'll follow up with that ASAP

Beans

As suspected the deprecation of /apps/metacity in gconf is now complete in Saucy:

saucy_button_layout.jpg

saucy_wm_theme.jpg

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast