Thread: Regression in Empathy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Regression in Empathy

re:
    HTML Code:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/signon-ui/+bug/1120737
    It looks as if the devs may have been tinkering with the latest updates, but I still can't set-up my FB acct in Empathy using 13.04 without Facebook thinking I'm an intruder!

It might also be related to me having a secure Facebook page, as well. However, with Empathy's set-up in 12.04, none of this was an issue - sweet as. I understand many using 12.10 have been plagued with similar issues as well, which if true, this prob has been around for a while with no real resolve.

Is there anyway that I can configure my task bar indicator (top right of screen) to access Pidgin updates instead of Empathy?

Cheers.

EDIT: Empathy seems to be working much better after the latest batch of updates. However, I've found it handy to have your facebook page open when signing on using the app, so you can delete any 'intruder alert' messages when they happen (If using a secure FB page).

You appear to have about a second or two to enter your device name immediately when that option appears following logging in, otherwise it seems to time out and you need to remove the intruder alarm message before trying again. I'm hoping that it's just a bug and will also be sorted soon.

Hope this helps others in the same situation.
    Last edited by Baldrick_NZ; February 28th, 2013 at 04:12 AM.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Regression in Empathy

I've noticed a lot of regressions too: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1116449

after a while any accounts that aren't facebook/google/windows live just stop working completely, and won't even let you add accounts of that type. Saw the issue across multiple clean installs of raring :/ empathy/uoa has gotten buggy to the point of uselessness, I hope they sort this stuff out before release....

Since pidgin is also very broken in raring: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1116449 it leaves one with no good IM options.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Empathy has always felt like an obligation more than anything else. "Oh we need our own in-house IM option." even though Pidgin was already available.

Beans
    Hidden!

dont think anyone cares for IM anymore ever since social networking came out its kinda over-taken instant messengers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dext View Post
    dont think anyone cares for IM anymore ever since social networking came out its kinda over-taken instant messengers
    This might be true to some extent - however I for one am required to use Jabber/XMPP for in-house commercial instant messaging. A system that works quiet well.. usually.
    I also use Empathy to handle my Facebook & GTalk accounts so I have everything nicely integrated into my system at any time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dext View Post
    but the beauty with IM messaging is that you don't have to have your social media web page open for it to work. It just sits nicely in the background until it's needed.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Since Microsoft folded MS Messenger into Skype, we may see other IM services slowly die out.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    I've noticed a lot of regressions too [...]

after a while any accounts that aren't facebook/google/windows live just stop working completely[...]

pidgin is also very broken in raring [...]

It leaves one with no good IM options.
    I've been using Web-ICQ (formerly ICQ2Go): http://www.icq.com/download/webicq/en

Gotta leave a small browser window open (I just stick it on a different desktop)

It works from ANY computer -- public kiosks -- whatever -- even broken Ubu dev releases.

As long as your browser works, you can IM via Web-ICQ.
    Last edited by VinDSL; March 2nd, 2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Addy
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU