Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: versions of linux with ubuntu

Beans

versions of linux with ubuntu

Hi All,

I searched google, the Ubuntu Forums and Wikipedia on this and didn't find anything relevant.

I'm currently using 12.04. When I update 12.04 using the Update Manager will it always look for and get the latest stable version of Linux? Or is 12.04 limited to only using a certain version of Linux and no higher?

Thanks,

Advait
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome) and 500GB nvme (also Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome as a backup)

Here, There and Everywhere.

Beans

Re: versions of linux with ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Advait View Post
    Hi All,

I searched google, the Ubuntu Forums and Wikipedia on this and didn't find anything relevant.

I'm currently using 12.04. When I update 12.04 using the Update Manager will it always look for and get the latest stable version of Linux? Or is 12.04 limited to only using a certain version of Linux and no higher?

Thanks,

Advait
    Do you mean the kernel ? Ubuntu is Linux, Linux is a kernel upon which distros base themselves, Ubuntu 12.04 or otherwise are all based around the Linux kernel and are therefore Linux.

If you mean does the kernel get upgraded, then no, but you can choose to update the kernel if you so wish but not always necessarily the best option, it is a personal decision based o hardware and configuration and operational requirements etc.
    Last edited by haqking; December 1st, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Do you mean the kernel ? Ubuntu is Linux, Linux is a kernel upon which distros base themselves, Ubuntu 12.04 or otherwise are all based around the Linux kernel and are therefore Linux.

If you mean does the kernel get updated, then no, but you can choose to update the kernel if you so wish but not always necessarily the best option, it is a personal decision based o hardware and configuration and operational requirements etc.
    Ok, thanks for the info. My question remains: What version of Linux is 12.04 limited to if I only use the official Ubuntu Update Manager to update?

I'm a newbie so I have no clue how to update the kernel any other way. I can barely use the command line.

I do understand that Ubuntu is combination of the Linux kernel and some user interface and other stuff layered on top of the kernel.

Thanks!

Advait
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome) and 500GB nvme (also Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome as a backup)

Beans

A related question: What version of Linux is used with 12.10? Thanks!

Beans

When you do updates it will update the kernel with security patches but wont upgrade the kernel to the latest version no.

not sure what kernel 12.10 uses, it is 3.5x i think, I dont use 12.10 so dont know of top of head.
    Last edited by haqking; December 1st, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Unless the latest kernel has certain features that your hardware desperately needs (which yo can install fromsome PPAs), it's recommended that you use the kernel provided with Ubuntu because it has been tested for all kinds of bugs and instability issues, and will be regularly updated with security updates.

Beans

When you do updates no it wont update the kernel.
    OK, thanks! This kind of basic info is helpful for a newbie like me. I always assumed Update Manager also got the latest stable version of Linux. It's good to know the real story.

So it sound like each version of Ubuntu is "tied" to a version of Linux? Is that true? (I do understand that Linux experts can upgrade to new kernels and play around.)

not sure what kernel 12.10 uses, it is 3.5x i think, I dont use 12.10 so dont know of top of head.
    Anyone know? Thanks!

Advaot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

type
    Code:
    uname -a
    into terminal to get the kernel and info.

12.04 is 3.2 kernel.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    type
    Code:
    uname -a
    into terminal to get the kernel and info.

12.04 is 3.2 kernel.
    That wont tell her what 12.10 is using only her current install of 12.04.

I think 12.10 uses 3.5x i believe ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

...I'm a newbie so I have no clue how to update the kernel any other way. I can barely use the command line...
    The default kernel in your release will be updated with any necessary security updates automatically. However, the kernel will not be updated to the "latest stable version" as this is normally done by upgrading to a new release of Ubuntu.

My advice is to forget about the actual kernel release and just enjoy using Ubuntu!

A related question: What version of Linux is used with 12.10? Thanks!
    If you do wish to know exactly which kernel is installed then open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and enter the following command:
    Code:
    uname -a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast