Thread: Desktop 10.04 and remote control

Beans

Desktop 10.04 and remote control

I have a ubuntu 10.04 desktop on my server.

I have x2go remote desktop server program as a remote desktop graphical screen.

I want to remove all other ubuntu remote desktop and all other programs that listen tcp or udp ports.

What all kind of programs there is on basic ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition, what programs i should remove to add some more security.

I ofcourse have full iptables and fail2ban and sshguard setups, but, there is no need for extra programs that listen ports, so i need some advices to remove all unnessessary programs.
    Last edited by jaho22; November 30th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Desktop 10.04 and remote control

Why are you running a GUI on a server?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

there shouldn't be any other programs listening besides the ones you set up yourself. You can always check using netstat

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaho22 View Post
    I have a ubuntu 10.04 desktop on my server.

I have x2go remote desktop server program as a remote desktop graphical screen.

I want to remove all other ubuntu remote desktop and all other programs that listen tcp or udp ports.

What all kind of programs there is on basic ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition, what programs i should remove to add some more security.

I ofcourse have full iptables and fail2ban and sshguard setups, but, there is no need for extra programs that listen ports, so i need some advices to remove all unnessessary programs.
    +1 to CharlesA, if you want a more secure setup you should remove the GUI from the server.
    Code:
    dpkg -l | less
    will give you all the packages installed on your server. I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with what's on your server anyway.
    Code:
    sudo netstat -antp
    will give you a detailed list of listening services (as suggested by dannyboy79).