Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VDPAU not working in 12.04?

Beans

VDPAU not working in 12.04?

I just upgraded from 11.10 because VDPAU wasn't working there hoping that things were fixed in the next release. The system seems to work ok in general, but I get a lot of jumpy, stuttering video with quite a bit of tearing. When I select any VDPAU option in MythTV video playback setup screen, I get the "Failed to Initialize Video Playback" error message if I attempt to watch a recording.

I tried installing from the edgers ppa as described in this thread, but I'm still getting the same error. Here's some output that seems to say that there's no nvidia driver found (same output before and after installing the edgers ppa code):
    Code:
    $ vainfo
    libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/nouveau_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns -1
    vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

Beans

Re: VDPAU not working in 12.04?

vainfo has nothing to do with vdpau. What video card do you have?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    vainfo has nothing to do with vdpau. What video card do you have?
    Thanks. It's nvidia built into the motherboard. This is what lspci gives:
    VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] (rev a2)

I must have misunderstood the thread that mentioned using vainfo to determine if the nvidia driver was in use and VDPAU was working. Regardless, VDPAU doesn't seem to work. This is from the front end log:
    Code:
    Nov 30 02:17:41 mythfrontend[3495]: E CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1539 (CreateDevice) VDPAU: Error at mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1539 (#1, Unknown)
    Nov 30 02:17:41 mythfrontend[3495]: E CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1543 (CreateDevice) VDPAU: Failed to create VDPAU device.
    Nov 30 02:17:41 mythfrontend[3495]: E CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:389 (Create) VDPAU: No VDPAU device
    Nov 30 02:17:41 mythfrontend[3495]: E CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:405 (Create) VDPAU: Failed to create VDPAU render device.
    Nov 30 02:17:41 mythfrontend[3495]: E CoreContext videoout_vdpau.cpp:147 (InitRender) VidOutVDPAU: Failed to initialise VDPAU
    l

Beans

I have 3 machines running Myth FE on 12.04 and VDPAU works fine. Make sure that you have the Nvidia hardware drivers enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your adapter doesn't support vdpau. Support began in the 8xxx series.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I can't believe the card isn't supported! I've been using it for years and on at least a couple of installs I think VDPAU setting worked, though apparently it wasn't getting any benefit of the VDPAU acceleration. Oh well...Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    I can't believe the card isn't supported! I've been using it for years and on at least a couple of installs I think VDPAU setting worked, though apparently it wasn't getting any benefit of the VDPAU acceleration. Oh well...Thanks.
    Believe it or not, it's true.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...rtedchips.html

The nForce 730 & "GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i" look to have been the earliest VDPAU on-board mobo GPUs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    The nForce 730 & "GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i" look to have been the earliest VDPAU on-board mobo GPUs
    If so, why does NVIDIA list it as unsupported in the document I linked to above?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    If so, why does NVIDIA list it as unsupported in the document I linked to above?
    No it doesn't. Read again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast