Thread: KDE Updates in 12.10 Ubuntu - What for? & How to Use?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question KDE Updates in 12.10 Ubuntu - What for? & How to Use?

The latest Update Manager [30/11/12], under 12.10 'Proposed Updates' installed a long string of packages for the KDE Platform.

I use a straight unmodified Ubuntu Desktop, and checking the Greeter Login Drop-down menu, there are no new options.

Does anyone know what the purposes of these 'Updates' are, or how to access them?

Google was no help and I can never find what I am looking for in Ubuntu/Wicki.

Any Suggestions? [Preferably polite ones.]

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Re: KDE Updates in 12.10 Ubuntu - What for? & How to Use?

Ubuntu only upgrades packages that are already installed. Without more info (such as the names of the packages) I can only speculate that at some point you installed an application with KDE dependencies (such as amarok, dragonplayer, etc).

Beans
    Distro

Hio!, snowpine,

Thanks for the response.

As far as I know there is nothing like that installed; it is a clean installation with only the usual ubuntu/Gnome tools installed, gnome fallback, CCSM and Ubuntu Tweak and so on.

The only non-standard feature is that I use it to test out drivers and kernel upgrades, so I have the 'Proposed main & universe' ticked in Software Sources.

The 40+ Packages were mostly libraries and had titles like " libkdfe3support4 libraries for KDE 4 Platforms" or "core plugins for KDE Applications", or they had names begining with "kde".

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; November 30th, 2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro

Update: 18.00hrs 1/12/12

Another update, and another 8 KDE updates, including 'kde-core'.

I have never used KDE and, as far as I know, have never run or installed anything that needs it, so I am very puzzled and intrigued.

Is there a command that would let me try it out? 'dpkg --something-kde-or-other' ??

Chao!, bogan.