Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why fork Gnome version also questions?

Beans

Why fork Gnome version also questions?

I have 13.04 install how can I revert I am not liking the new gnome here is why.

The rectangle on minimizing.
    Top bar is very empty why make 2 panels?
    No hot spot.
    Also this looks like a fork.

How do I revert to 12.10 with out the new Gnome cause its lame and boring just when I get used to the real gnome and like it it switch's to a wanna be mate version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why fork Gnome version also questions?

Gnome-what? Gnome-shell, Gnome-classic?

I far as I know, reverting back to 12.10 would require reinstalling 12.10 from scratch.

As a note, the cinnamon desktop is in the raring repos.

For me personally, the only changes that annoy me are the ones for nautilus. I prefer an extra pane to an extra window or tab.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Looks like I wont be going above 12.10 then I guess this is where i am gona stay at since every thing is a Fork and not true Gnome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sounds like you're using the GNOME Classic session. Might be that it's doing that on its own as a fallback, which it does if your graphics driver doesn't have the necessary support. (Happens a lot at this stage). If you open System Settings / Details, it will tell you about that in the Graphics page.

In 13.04, the fallback session will be going away, so it will just use GNOME Shell through llvmpipe. So, this will stop happening on its own soon enough, but chances are you just need to fiddle with your graphics drivers.

By the way, it's helpful to specify the shell you are using. GNOME is a suite of desktop applications, and then there are a bunch of shells that integrate nicely with it. GNOME Shell is the one that's a core part of GNOME, and there a bunch more like Unity and Cinnamon. I am assuming you're using GNOME Shell, of course, but as you can see it confuses people mightily and it doesn't make much sense to refer to the shell itself as "GNOME" ;)
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

13.04 uses unity 3d as the shell by default just like 12.10 does.

What desktop are you trying to use? gnome-shell? ubuntu doesn't include gnome-shell out of the box (and never has), you need to install it and select it from the login screen. The default session should be unity 3d.

It sounds like you may have logged into the fallback mode somehow.

13.04 is still extremely early in development, it doesn't come out until april. There's no way to downgrade, you'd need to download 12.10 and reinstall.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; December 4th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Sounds like you're using the GNOME Classic session. Might be that it's doing that on its own as a fallback, which it does if your graphics driver doesn't have the necessary support. (Happens a lot at this stage). If you open System Settings / Details, it will tell you about that in the Graphics page.

In 13.04, the fallback session will be going away, so it will just use GNOME Shell through llvmpipe. So, this will stop happening on its own soon enough, but chances are you just need to fiddle with your graphics drivers.

By the way, it's helpful to specify the shell you are using. GNOME is a suite of desktop applications, and then there are a bunch of shells that integrate nicely with it. GNOME Shell is the one that's a core part of GNOME, and there a bunch more like Unity and Cinnamon. I am assuming you're using GNOME Shell, of course, but as you can see it confuses people mightily and it doesn't make much sense to refer to the shell itself as "GNOME"
    Let me say this I like Gnome 3 if there is a shell involved then yes I like it as well but Gnome3 is what i am used to calling it and thats what I like.But maybe I was in fall back mode so then I guess ill try again or wait till the fall back is gone casue it looks like mate version but in Gnome 3 if you know what i mean.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kidx View Post
    Let me say this I like Gnome 3 if there is a shell involved then yes I like it as well but Gnome3 is what i am used to calling it and thats what I like.But maybe I was in fall back mode so then I guess ill try again or wait till the fall back is gone casue it looks like mate version but in Gnome 3 if you know what i mean.
    Fall back mode keeps enabling whats up with AMD drivers only when I install them whats a good driver for AMD HD5770 with 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When you login, in the box where your name/password is at the login screen click the Ubuntu logo in the rght corner and see if you can select a different desktop.
    You can probably tell us what desktops are on your system, as this will help us understand what you're saying better.

My personal feeling though is that if you're having troubles identifying your desktop, then maybe you shouldn't be running the development branch.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    When you login, in the box where your name/password is at the login screen click the Ubuntu logo in the rght corner and see if you can select a different desktop.
    You can probably tell us what desktops are on your system, as this will help us understand what you're saying better.

My personal feeling though is that if you're having troubles identifying your desktop, then maybe you shouldn't be running the development branch.
    I don't have trouble Gnome 3 is Gnome 3 and yes I see Gnome,Gnome classic,System default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

kidx i wish i knew what you are talking about but i can't make anything out of your topics.
    i am running RR 13.04 and it is as Gnome as it could get and i see nothing of what you talk about
    here are some pics for you,i myself don't like Unity and thats the first thing i remove when i install 13.04 but that's my choice.i can assure you that Gnome 3 works perfect with 13.04 so i have no idea of what your issue is.i wish i can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.2 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (61.3 KB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (32.9 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (34.6 KB, 14 views)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast