Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Mint 14 installation issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Linux Mint 14 installation issue.

I really think your issue could have been dealt with easily, but you complicated matters by posting the output of fdisk from one machine and then parted from the other. It doesn't matter that they are the same model - they clearly have different hardware configurations. Or are you saying the the first set of outputs from your posts #4 and #6 were from one machine and the outputs in post #8 are from the other? If so, I'm sure we could get to the bottom of this, but we need to know exactly what you are doing and where the outputs are from. I did have a suggestion, but was inhibited from posting it because of the discrepancy between fdisk and parted, and I am still not sure what you are doing.

A few specific comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Jizztasto View Post
    I did end up giving up on it and went to install Debian
    I wouldn't advise installing Debian to beginners in Linux.

I can't even wipe it with a new install of Windows or Ubuntu, the drive just doesn't show up in the installers. It obviously doesn't recognize the drive due to partition being corrupted or something.
    The screenshot you posted is more-or-less what I would expect after your unsuccessful attempt with Debian. I really don't think this is likely to be a big issue. I'm sure it is easily fixed.

I'm going to ring Dell when possible and see if they're able to fix it.
    Hmmm - you have a wealth of experienced members on this forum.

Lesson: *nix obviously isn't for me. I can't seem to get anything working other than Ubuntu.
    Does that mean you have done a successful install of Ubuntu before? Mint uses the identical installer to Ubuntu. As I've said before, there are a number of possible issues we need to check with your hardware, and we haven't checked them all yet, to explain why the installer is failing.

If you do want help, please settle on one and one machine only to work on. There are a few things I would like to check that you can get from either the Mint or the Ubuntu live CD. If we can get you going with one machine, then we can turn our attention to the other, but only after getting the first sorted. If you want to start with the one that is now giving you the Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device error, that's fine.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I really think your issue could have been dealt with easily, but you complicated matters by posting the output of fdisk from one machine and then parted from the other. It doesn't matter that they are the same model - they clearly have different hardware configurations. Or are you saying the the first set of outputs from your posts #4 and #6 were from one machine and the outputs in post #8 are from the other? If so, I'm sure we could get to the bottom of this, but we need to know exactly what you are doing and where the outputs are from. I did have a suggestion, but was inhibited from posting it because of the discrepancy between fdisk and parted, and I am still not sure what you are doing.
    I apologize for the confusion, I didn't think switching machines would cause that much of a big deal because the same issue is occurring on both machines.
    Yes, that is correct; post #4 and #6 are from the first machine, and post #8 is from the second machine.

I wouldn't advise installing Debian to beginners in Linux.
    Really? I read it was a pretty easy installation and good for beginners.
    Though, you seem to be well immersed in all of this, so I will take your word for it and steer away from Debian right and try and get this Linux Mint issue sorted.

The screenshot you posted is more-or-less what I would expect after your unsuccessful attempt with Debian. I really don't think this is likely to be a big issue. I'm sure it is easily fixed.
    I researched for hours and haven't been able to find a working solution.
    Hopefully someone will see this and know what the problem may be.

Does that mean you have done a successful install of Ubuntu before? Mint uses the identical installer to Ubuntu. As I've said before, there are a number of possible issues we need to check with your hardware, and we haven't checked them all yet, to explain why the installer is failing.
    Yes, although that was a different time and on a different machine.

If you do want help, please settle on one and one machine only to work on. There are a few things I would like to check that you can get from either the Mint or the Ubuntu live CD. If we can get you going with one machine, then we can turn our attention to the other, but only after getting the first sorted. If you want to start with the one that is now giving you the Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device error, that's fine.
    The thing is I can't access the first machine until sometime next week and as you can see we can't try and get it working on the second machine due to my impatience and causing a boot error.
    It would be faster to fix the boot issue and attempt Linux Mint again, although it's my own fault and I don't expect you to help me with it as it's a different issue to the Linux Mint.
    If you don't mind the extra work, then I would be truly grateful.

I apologize for my impatience and ruining the progress we were making.
    From now on I'll stick by it and see if we can get it working, without being hasty and doing stuff like that on my own.

Thank you again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is most interesting:

Yes, that is correct; post #4 and #6 are from the first machine, and post #8 is from the second machine.
    Although fdisk and parted give slightly different information, which is why it was useful to have both outputs, they should not contradict each other. fdisk is telling us that you have three drives attached to the machine, sda - 2TB, sdb - 32GB and sdc - 4MB. By the way, neither fdisk nor parted distinguish between internal and external drives; the first internal physical drive would be sda, the second sdb, and so on, external drives being designated with drive letters from where the internal ones left off. Whereas parted is saying that you have only the 2TB and 4MB drives - which us why your 4MB flash drive is appearing as sdc in fdisk and sdb in parted.

Frankly, I'm puzzled at the moment, and did not expect this.

Before we go any further, I'm going to pm another member to get a second opinion. He is in another time zone from me, so hang in there - you won't be forgotten!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is this a Intel SRT system. Those tend to be a large hard drive & small SSD to speed Windows up. Each vendor slightly different but the Intel part is the same.
    Some delete the SRT and install Linux to the SSD, others turn off SRT in Windows and have to use the RAID commands to remove RAID settings. Then after install they seem to be able to re-implement the SRT, but I do not then think Linux sees Windows.

Intel Smart Response Technology
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...ts/chpsts/imsm
    Intel SRT - Dell XPS
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2038121
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2036204
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2020155
    Some info on re-instating
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2038121
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2070491
    Disable the RAID, for me it was using the Intel rapid management thingy and telling it to disable the acceleration or the use of the SSD. If you have a different system, just disable the RAID system then install Ubuntu. Once installed you can then re-enable it.

You will need to use the dmraid command prior to running the Ubuntu Installer so that it will be able to see the partitions on the drive because otherwise with the raid metadata in place it will see the drive as part of a raid set and ignore its partitions.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

from your display it is not detecting the drive partition table
    there are a few things that can cause this

if your drives are sata drives make sure the data and power cables are connected properly ,
    if they are ide drives make sure the jumpers are set correctly(usually set to cs(cable select))
    and from the live menu select gparted
    this should detect any hard drive that is connected unless the drive has crapped out.
    if the drive shows up you can procede to rewrite the partition table and restart your installer.
    have installed mint many times for others

if you want an easy linux to install try pinguyos 12.04. its a 7 step process in a graphical mode
    Last edited by viper250; December 3rd, 2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: added info
    too much blood in my caffeine system and a coffee cup the size of a wading pool!

registered Linux user number 505431

Beans

Apologies for the late reply!

I am quite happy right now, I've gotten past that nasty boot error and I am currently formatting my drive and putting Windows back on.
    I can't exactly give a solution to the problem as I just kept trying random things and then it started working again.

I'm going to give Linux Mint another try once I've put all my files and whatnot back on my main machine.
    I was so close to giving in and getting a new drive.

Beans

The Linux Mint issue still persists, formatting didn't actually change anything (not that I thought it would since it affects both machines.)
    I did watch a video on what's suppose to happen, still unsure why it doesn't show /dev/loop2 for me like it's suppose to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

From the o/p original post....

I've attempted installing it via USB and installing it via mint4win, neither of which worked.
    I am guessing the 'via USB' was still using mint4win
    This is the Mint version of WUBI.

Is the phantom 32GB drive perhaps the amount you allocated as the mint4win install....?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    From the o/p original post....

I am guessing the 'via USB' was still using mint4win
    This is the Mint version of WUBI.

Is the phantom 32GB drive perhaps the amount you allocated as the mint4win install....?
    I also attempted mounting it via Daemon Tools, same outcome.
    The 32GB drive was there after I formatted my drive, so I wouldn't say so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    The 32GB drive was there after I formatted my drive, so I wouldn't say so.
    @Jizztasto, please see oldfred's post. The 32GB drive is almost certainly part of the Intel SRT system. I must admit, this one was new on me. The links that oldfred posted give more information. One thing to beware of is that you may still have the complication of Intel SRT interfering with the Ubuntu/Mint installer because of the RAID metadata. There are workarounds in oldfred's links.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast