Thread: Linux Mint 14 installation issue.

Hybrid View

Beans

Linux Mint 14 installation issue.

I apologize for the really lame question, but I just can't seem to be able to install it.
    I've attempted installing it via USB and installing it via mint4win, neither of which worked.

I am stuck with the following and cannot proceed from here: http://i.imgur.com/ylzVL.png

If anyone can shed some light as to why this is occurring and how I can fix it I would be very grateful.
    If it's not obvious; I'm quite new to *nix so once again, I apologize.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Linux Mint 14 installation issue.

As this is about Linux Mint, thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

However, I have a couple of suggestions. One common reason for seeing that installer window empty of partitions is using a hard drive that was once used in a RAID and the residual RAID metadata is confusing the installer. Was your hard drive once part of a RAID? If so, I can post a terminal command that will fix that.

The other possibility is a partition table irregularity which confuses the installer. Fairly easily fixed, but if your drive was not used in a RAID, lets see if this is so. Close the installer and open a terminal. Run this command and post the output:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    As this is about Linux Mint, thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

However, I have a couple of suggestions. One common reason for seeing that installer window empty of partitions is using a hard drive that was once used in a RAID and the residual RAID metadata is confusing the installer. Was your hard drive once part of a RAID? If so, I can post a terminal command that will fix that.

The other possibility is a partition table irregularity which confuses the installer. Fairly easily fixed, but if your drive was not used in a RAID, lets see if this is so. Close the installer and open a terminal. Run this command and post the output:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    My apologies for posting it in the incorrect section.

I don't believe I've setup RAID, although I believe I have the ability to do so.

Here is the output, as requested:
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x9083934c

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1              63       80324       40131   de  Dell Utility
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    /dev/sda2   *       81920    32940031    16429056    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3        32940032  3907018751  1937039360    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 32.0 GB, 32017047552 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3892 cylinders, total 62533296 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xba000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/sdc: 4003 MB, 4003000320 bytes
    32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3878 cylinders, total 7818360 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x6960045b

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdc1   *          63     7818047     3908992+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    Thanks for the help so far!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your fdisk output is showing that you have two hard drives: sda - 2TB and sdb - 32GB. (sdc is your flash drive.) Drive sda *appears* to have a mbr partition table and I can see no problem in the figures that would cause this problem. Drive sdb has no valid partition table.

ajgreeny's point about the possibility of GPT/UEFI is a good one, although I don't think the data you've posted so far says that you have, but let's be sure. A few more questions then.

• Let's have the output of "sudo parted -l" that ajgreeny suggested.
    • What is your sdb - 32GB - drive? Something on that could still be confusing the installer.
    • What model of computer are you trying to install to - I can see it's a Dell?
    • What version of Windows do you have?
    • Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit Mint installer disk?

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Your fdisk output is showing that you have two hard drives: sda - 2TB and sdb - 32GB. (sdc is your flash drive.) Drive sda *appears* to have a mbr partition table and I can see no problem in the figures that would cause this problem. Drive sdb has no valid partition table.

ajgreeny's point about the possibility of GPT/UEFI is a good one, although I don't think the data you've posted so far says that you have, but let's be sure. A few more questions then.

• Let's have the output of "sudo parted -l" that ajgreeny suggested.
    • What is your sdb - 32GB - drive? Something on that could still be confusing the installer.
    • What model of computer are you trying to install to - I can see it's a Dell?
    • What version of Windows do you have?
    • Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit Mint installer disk?
    Output of the command:
    Code:
    Model: ATA ST2000DM001-9YN1 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      32.3kB  41.1MB  41.1MB  primary  fat16        diag
     2      41.9MB  16.9GB  16.8GB  primary  ntfs         boot
     3      16.9GB  2000GB  1984GB  primary  ntfs

Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label                                  

Model: FLASH Drive 3S_USB20 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 4003MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      32.3kB  4003MB  4003MB  primary  fat32        boot, lba
    I have no idea to be honest, it doesn't show up when I'm on Windows.
    I can't mount the drive so I can't exactly tell you what's on there, sorry.

My model is called XPS 8500, and I am running Windows 7 on it.
    I've attempt both the 32-bit and 64-bit Mint installer, neither worked.
    I am currently sticking with the 64-bit installer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK - you have a mbr partition table on sda, so you don't have a GPT/UEFI system. The 32-bit/64-bit question was in case you did have - the 32-bit installer doesn't work with UEFI.

But now I'm puzzled. In your earlier post, fdisk showed your 2TB sda, a 32 GB sdb and your 4MB flash drive which is identified as sdc. But with the parted output, the 32GB drive has disappeared which is why the 4MB flash drive is now designated sdb.

We need to clarify what's going on with this 32GB drive before we can proceed. I have a feeling in my bones that the 32GB drive may be the problem. I know you say it doesn't show up in Windows, and that's because it doesn't have any partitions, not even a valid partition table. If you don't have any other information about what it could be, try rebooting into Windows and open Disk Manager - not Explorer - and see what that has to say about the hard drive(s) in your system.

Beans
    Hidden!

From the live system desktop run the commands
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and then
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    I have suggested both as you may have GPT partitions and a UEFI bios.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

In case anyone else stumbles across this... I had the a very issue with Mint 15. I was installing from CD though with no existing OS in place.
    I was using a redundant HDD so, after my first failed install attempt, I use GParted to remove the existing partitions.
    Thinking this would be enough (I guessed the installer would offer to create the partitions) I attempted to install again. Same issue, no HDD listed to install from.
    So I created the partitions and tried again, still no luck.
    Using GParted I fished around in the device info of the drive hoping to find something missing but no luck so I removed the partitions again. This time though, I didn't add the partitions but what I did do was to use the 'Create partition table' option on the drive menu, keeping the default msdos setting.
    Looking at the drive info again didn't reveal any changes from when I started all this but I ran the installer and hey-presto! there was the drive just itching to be installed onto !

Anyway, It's looking good so far, just about to reboot though, so knowing my luck it's all go pear-shaped again!