Thread: How should i connect my VPN connection on Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans

Unhappy How should i connect my VPN connection on Ubuntu 12.04?

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 but when I get to a certain part it says that I need an internet connection to install some third-party software. Now I have tried to setup my connection but so far I have been unsuccessful. On my windows laptop, I would just simply enable my LAN connection, then I would open rasphone.exe dialer and type my username and password and start the VPN connection but in Ubuntu, I have tried to do the same thing in the VPN tab but it wont connect. I have also googled this problem but did not find anything helpful. I hope you help me solve my problem. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How should i connect my VPN connection on Ubuntu 12.04?

It's always best to install with an ethernet wired connection. Plug an ethernet wire in your modem to computer for a sure internet connection. Play with the VPN later.

Are you on dial-up internet? If so, did you choose to install third party software during the install? Unclick that option so you don't download any updates during the install. You shouldn't need internet if you're not updating at the same time.
    Last edited by critin; November 30th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You may need to install VPN plugins according to this community documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VPNClient

Another option would be to install without third-party software in the first place. This can also be done after Ubuntu is installed and configured.

Beans

@critin Yes . I am on dial up internet. But I really dont know what I am supposed to do. I mean I've got this cable that I plug into my PC. I've got this Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller cable (This is an ethernet connection, hopefully? ). Then I check but the internet doesn't connect.

@2F4U: Thanks for the link. But you know what, the truth is, I've already installed Ubuntu once without installing any third-party software. The result was that when i opened my computer, all I could see was the one "Untitled" folder sitting at the corner of my screen. No Ubuntu menu or any other taskbars whatever. My screen was almost completely empty. I knew right away that there was something wrong. Sp i decided to reinstall with the third-party software button enabled. And thats how I've ended up here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It's been too long since I used dialup, so I have no experience with it. I googled and found some info, this is the newest link I found in a quick search--you might find something newer. I don't know if this was solved but it does have some suggestions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1981550

You will need to have an internet connection in order to download updates while installing, so if you can't configure the dialup connection, don't try to download any updates. They can all be updated after the connection is established.

I wonder if one of those USB wireless internet dongles would work? I haven't used those either.

The empty desktop really sounds like a graphic card issue. You'll need help from a user who knows how to deal with that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by critin; December 6th, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

"No desktop" sounds quite strange. May be you have server version of Ubuntu?

May you should download Ubuntu for desktop:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

How to setup PPTP VPN on Ubuntu desktop:
    https://seed4.me/pages/setup/vpn-ubuntu

----------
    Good luck!

Beans

Thanks for the help guys!!
    I really appreciate it. I'll try out those links you've suggested and see how things roll!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

are you trying to connect to a windows network..?