Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pride Goes Before a Fall.

Beans

Re: Pride Goes Before a Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    It would help to have some more diagnostics, because up to now I've made assumptions based on how you've described what happened. e.g. you mentioned Wubi, but that's not always clear cut because it has a different set of options when it loads from a DVD as opposed to running it standalone. Since 12.04 it won't offer to install 'inside Windows' - which is what most people refer to as Wubi.

So that's why I'd like the bootinfoscript results. In order to boot from the Ubuntu DVD you have to change the boot order, no matter what sort of boot techniques you are using. I'd use just the Ubuntu DVD you have, not boot-repair until we know what is going on.

The issue with UEFI, is that it supports both UEFI boot as well as legacy boot (similar to BIOS). It's not clear what setup you have either. I made some more assumptions because Wubi won't work on a UEFI system.

So... maybe you can clear up a few things before booting the Ubuntu CD. From Windows, hit the Start button, type "Add or remove" and hit enter. That should get you to the Control Panel's "Uninstall or change a program" screen. Look down the list and see if there is an Ubuntu entry as shown in attached image.

What this tells us is that you did use Wubi - either a traditional install, or as a "CD boot helper".
    I have checked there is no ubuntu in the programmes, I have also reloaded the original 12.04 disc and re installed Ubuntu using that, it made no difference, there still is no Ubuntu in programmes.In disc management my Hard drive now shows two extra Volumes/partition of the right size. Now despite watching the installation saying that it was installing Grub 2,and then updating it. it does not appear to be there. I boot straight into Win 7. Last night I went to that link and downloaded the ubuntu 64 bit remix. It said that it was 797 MB but only came as 760MB, tried that, it also made no difference. The only oddity is that on the motherboard in the Bios Features it had a Boot mode selector, with Boot to UEFIand Legacy outlined, the next two lines were Uefi and the Legacy only options ,Not wanting to change too much I left it at UEFIand Legacy.
    Regards Cliff.

Beans

It would help to have some more diagnostics, because up to now I've made assumptions based on how you've described what happened. e.g. you mentioned Wubi, but that's not always clear cut because it has a different set of options when it loads from a DVD as opposed to running it standalone. Since 12.04 it won't offer to install 'inside Windows' - which is what most people refer to as Wubi.

So that's why I'd like the bootinfoscript results. In order to boot from the Ubuntu DVD you have to change the boot order, no matter what sort of boot techniques you are using. I'd use just the Ubuntu DVD you have, not boot-repair until we know what is going on.

The issue with UEFI, is that it supports both UEFI boot as well as legacy boot (similar to BIOS). It's not clear what setup you have either. I made some more assumptions because Wubi won't work on a UEFI system.

So... maybe you can clear up a few things before booting the Ubuntu CD. From Windows, hit the Start button, type "Add or remove" and hit enter. That should get you to the Control Panel's "Uninstall or change a program" screen. Look down the list and see if there is an Ubuntu entry as shown in attached image.

What this tells us is that you did use Wubi - either a traditional install, or as a "CD boot helper".
    I checked the programmes before ie, earlier this morning and there was no sign of Unbuntu, not was there any signin Disc management of any extra Volumes. This is after I went to the link and downloaded the 64 bit remix last night and tried that, the result was nothing. This morning I have reloaded the original 12.04 and sat through the disc self check for any errors, then an installation of Ubuntu, where I watched it say it was installing Grub 2 , then update Grub 2 , carried on the process until it was complete. I now have two extraq volumes on the Hard drive, and still have no Ubuntu in Uninstall/install programmes, etc,etc..
    In my motherboard Bios Features I have a Boot Mode selection , where the top line is outlined UEFI and Legacy, the next down UEFI, and the bottom Legacy. Figuring that if it says it does both ,and not wanting to disturb too much I have left it on the top line.
    Regards Cliff

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cliff edwards View Post
    I checked the programmes before ie, earlier this morning and there was no sign of Unbuntu, not was there any signin Disc management of any extra Volumes. This is after I went to the link and downloaded the 64 bit remix last night and tried that, the result was nothing. This morning I have reloaded the original 12.04 and sat through the disc self check for any errors, then an installation of Ubuntu, where I watched it say it was installing Grub 2 , then update Grub 2 , carried on the process until it was complete. I now have two extraq volumes on the Hard drive, and still have no Ubuntu in Uninstall/install programmes, etc,etc..
    In my motherboard Bios Features I have a Boot Mode selection , where the top line is outlined UEFI and Legacy, the next down UEFI, and the bottom Legacy. Figuring that if it says it does both ,and not wanting to disturb too much I have left it on the top line.
    Regards Cliff
    Subsequent to my last edition of this Saga, I have gone back into the hard drive Volumes/partitions and deleted those installed by my latest install attempt this morning, recovered the hard drive for Win 7. Then went back into the motherboard Bios Feature, went to Boot Mode Selection and changed it from UEFI and Legacy to Legacy only ( My daring knows no bounds ) then rebooted using the first 12.04 from the other day, I now have the screen where I can choose to load Ubuntu or Windows. I say that I have both ,but the truth is so far I have only checked Ubuntu. Then carried out an update, this took longer than the install as there were 234 to get through.
    It would seem that with this board, it must be in the Boot in Legacy Mode, it will not work if the selection is to the UEFI and Legacy Mode, or for that matter in UEFI alone Mode.
    In any case I would like to take this opportunity in thanking you for kindnes and support, I can't imagine that with out them I would have got this far, Thank you.
    Regards Cliff
    ps, I have sent several far more detailed replies to your previous replies, but some how or another I was not properly signed in, and in signing in they disappeared into the Ether.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Edit: ignore this - I didn't read all your posts!

Okay... I still think you may have issues. If windows was booting in uefi mode, and grub is booting in legacy mode, then now windows probably won't boot. The solution may be to boot the DVD in efi mode before installing ubuntu. Anyway... you'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by bcbc; December 4th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Beans

Edit: ignore this - I didn't read all your posts!

Okay... I still think you may have issues. If windows was booting in uefi mode, and grub is booting in legacy mode, then now windows probably won't boot. The solution may be to boot the DVD in efi mode before installing ubuntu. Anyway... you'll find out soon enough.
    I can only assume that Windows was booting in legacy mode as it fired up perfectly at my first attempt after booting into Ubuntu 12.04, I am back into 12.04 at this time trying to remember all that I had in my previous copy of it.
    best Regards Cliff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great to hear. Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12