Thread: Installing Linux generic-pae kernel

Beans

Installing Linux generic-pae kernel

Hi, short question; If I use the generic kernel and I want to change it to the generic-pae, I only must install e.g. linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae package and reboot computer, right? I'm asking, because I found computer with Intel Celeron dual core 2.40 GHz and I thought, that it will be better to install/use pae kernel instead of generic.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Linux generic-pae kernel

Since nobody replied. Is done at your own risk and I take no responsibility for any loss or damage (as usual). I would download the latest PAE Linux kernel available and reboot. I would use caution when removing any old kernel, especially before trying the new PAE kernel. You could also (backup your personal files and) install a Xubuntu 64-bit system.

Beans

Hello Lyfang. Thanks for the answer. I'm asking, because, if I remember correctly, I've read on the Linux Mint website, that it is enough to install pae kernel and reboot. I thought that maybe someone on the forum has already done something similar.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

installing a kernel means to install BOTH image & headers of such kernel (dkms also might already installed)

is that cpu able to use pae ?

cat /proc/cpuinfo
    (you might find pae in the list, otherwise it cant use pae)

do you need pae ?
    a pae kernel allow to use more than 3 Gib of ram; meaning that if your pc have less than 4 Gib of ram, no need to install a pae kernel.

Beans

Hi dino. Yes, my computer support PAE. That's for sure. I know all those thing about PAE. I want to install pae kernel, because of; two cores and NX bit, which seems to not work, now etc. I also know, that amount of RAM memory, really does not matter and pae kernel can be install even on system with 1 GB of RAM memory.

Regards!