Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum very slow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Forum very slow.

Over the last few days, (I'm not sure exactly when it started), this forum, and only this forum, has been incredibly slow at finding and displaying the page that I choose by clicking on a link; it does not matter which link it is, from a live-bookmark in firefox, or in chromium, or from a link in a thread I am already reading. This is not a download speed problem (8Mbits/s) but simply the "Waiting for ubuntuforums.org...." showing when I click on any link; it can take as much as 16 - 20 seconds to connect, other sites are instantaneous, more or less.

All other web-sites are behaving as they have in the past, just this one seems to be the problem. Has anyone else seen the same, and if so, how did you solve it, if you have solved it, of course?

I have searched the forum and found only this old thread with exactly the same problem, which does not appear to have been solved.

Any idea, anyone; has the forum been changed in some way recently which could account for this slowdown?
    Last edited by ajgreeny; November 30th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Forum very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Over the last few days, (I'm not sure exactly when it started), this forum, and only this forum, has been incredibly slow at finding and displaying the page that I choose by clicking on a link; ...
    Has been reported before

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

All other web-sites are behaving as they have in the past, just this one seems to be the problem. Has anyone else seen the same, and if so, how did you solve it, if you have solved it, of course?
    I have exactly the same issue here, I've not found a way to solve it.

I have run

Code:
    mtr ubuntuforums.org
    in the past and it seems to be the same host/node that plays up (from memory) (ae-1-52.edge5.London1.Level3.net earlier today)

Maybe try and run it and if there is one with an issue we could compile some sort of pattern to go to canonical IS with

Any idea, anyone; has the forum been changed in some way recently which could account for this slowdown?
    No - afraid not.
    Last edited by Elfy; November 30th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've noticed this too. I'm guessing heavy traffic on the ubuntuforums.org server or some kind of network problem on their end.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I have exactly the same issue here, I've not found a way to solve it.

I have run

Code:
    mtr ubuntuforums.org
    in the past and it seems to be the same host/node that plays up (from memory) (ae-1-52.edge5.London1.Level3.net earlier today)

Maybe try and run it and if there is one with an issue we could compile some sort of pattern to go to canonical IS with

No - afraid not.
    Thanks for the info, Elfy.

I ran the mtr command and in my case it was ae-2-52.edge5.London1.Level3.net that was at fault with packet loss of 15 - 20%. All others were 0% loss.

Beans

I've always had this problem as well, I thought it must be my system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for the info, Elfy.

I ran the mtr command and in my case it was ae-2-52.edge5.London1.Level3.net that was at fault with packet loss of 15 - 20%. All others were 0% loss.
    I'll keep an eye on this - if people can use the same thing - perhaps we can find a weak link and pass it on to IS.

That said - I'm getting slow page loads here still and nothing showing.

Beans
    Distro

I too am seeing about 26% packet loss at that same host, ae-2-52.edge5.London1.Level3.net.

On a side note, had no idea about the 'mtr' command. Very nice utility!

Beans
    Distro

Same here.

Beans

Predictably enough, as soon as I ran the mtr command, things got very much better with page loads pretty much where they should be.

The worst for me is

ae-0-11.edge4.London2.Level3.net with 4% loss.

All other servers are between zero and 1% loss.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast