Thread: Problems Installing 11.04

Beans

Problems Installing 11.04

I created a boot disc (USB drive) with Ubuntu 11.04 and tried to install it on my Gateway GT5012 desktop running Windows XP. It gets to the part where I can "Run Ubuntu from this USB," and I select it. The screen shows "loading vm/linuz..." or something like that, and then the entire screen turns into dots.

One time, when trying to boot from the drive, it brought up
    "CHS: Error 0201 reading sector 1418005 (88/68/3)
    EDD: Error 4200 reading sector 1418006"

I ran this same USB drive on another computer (also running XP), and it worked just fine, so I really have no idea what's going on. If it matters, the computer it worked on had Internet access, this one didn't. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: It says "Loading /casper/vmlinuz..." and then goes to the screen of flashing dots.
    Last edited by cmh0114; August 24th, 2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Correction

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Problems Installing 11.04

Can you post the computer specs. If not, is it an old computer? If so, about how old? Any additional info you can provide would be welcome, because so far, the problem is rather vague.

Beans

The computer isn't that old (maybe four years?). It runs a Pentium D processor, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 video card, and an Intel 945G chipset. It had a 250GB hard drive (that failed to run Ubuntu), then I switched to an unformatted 1TB hard drive (also failed), then formatted the 1TB into NTFS (which also failed to run Ubuntu). The 250GB hard drive has Windows XP SP3 installed.

I'm not sure exactly what specs you're looking for that would affect the installation, so if you need any more information, let me know and I'll try to get it for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

how bout try the lighter version like xubuntu or lubuntu
    How to Purge and Reinstall Grub2 from live CD go here
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    URL="http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/07/upgrade-video-drivers-through-ppas.html"]upgrade video drivers thourgh ppas[/URL]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm not sure exactly what specs you're looking for that would affect the installation, so if you need any more information, let me know and I'll try to get it for you.
    How much ram do you have?

Read System Requirements.

maizuddin35 how bout try the lighter version like xubuntu or lubuntu
    Please first verify if amount of ram is adequate or not.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had similar errors after:
    cloning a centos 6.3 system with clonezilla.
    (which coincidently is installed on SATA solid state drive, is this related? I think not)
    (changing hostname)
    doing a kernel-update

I tried a grub-install to resolve this, unsuccessfully. even not with livecd of centos nor livecd of ubuntu.

For whoever may benefit:

I got it finally fixed with this nifty tool:
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/
    and live assistance of adrian15 (yes there is a supportchat included in the livecd)
    Last edited by jringoot; November 30th, 2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.