Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Dell trying to promote Ubuntu, doing a terribly poor job"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: "Dell trying to promote Ubuntu, doing a terribly poor job"

This thread is so pointless I am wondering if it is some sort of performance art send up of "Waiting for Godot". Is some absurdist playwright going to take credit?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    This thread is so pointless I am wondering if it is some sort of performance art send up of "Waiting for Godot". Is some absurdist playwright going to take credit?
    time to put pointless to bed,

private enterprise have their goals , else it fails.
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    So you prefer Dell or any of the OEMs not to make a start. So we should write to them and ask them to stop.

As someone said earlier "dammed if they do, dammed if they don't, unbelievable.
    Don't be silly, no one is telling them to stop. We're telling them to do it more, and better.

Are you happy with how Dell have handled their Linux lineup over the last few years? I'm not, their policy is that individual regional managers can offer Linux if they want, but there's no cohesive vision, no budget and no additional support available for them if they do.

That's planning to fail in my book. As an ex-military man and a business man you'd have to agree that any kind of venture that lacks a clear plan, leadership and resources is doomed.

Beans

looks like they might already have stopped. this from a chat just minutes ago with dell.

we no longer have vostro in our lines, this is usually from our Small & Medium Business chat lines.
    09:12:07 AM Agent
    XPS13 we do have but not with Ubuntu preinstalled
    09:12:24 AM Customer
    i see so those models will only be used for "business"? and all others only for "home" use
    09:12:44 AM Agent
    would you like me to provide you with our Small & Medium business chat servcie?
    09:13:04 AM Agent
    They do handle vostro systems but i cant assure you that we have ubuntu preinstalled
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    looks like they might already have stopped. this from a chat just minutes ago with dell.
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of their support agents just don't know about the sputnik project, the project is technically still in "beta".
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I don't really understand the concept of offering a product or service, even experimentally, and then failing to market it.

In today's manufacturing/sales world, manufacturing and marketing are inextricably linked. It's nearly impossible to sell something you haven't marketed, particularly if you're making an effort at the same time marketing something else.

I get the feeling that some factions within Dell are deliberately undermining other factions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Thank you for proving my point.
    So the point is: if a company preloads devices with Linux we are not allowed to comment on the way they advertise and support those devices.

This thread as has already been pointed out is going nowhere fast (or slow), so locked.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234